cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shows hard rive full on Mac

Shows hard rive full on Mac

New member | Level 2

My mac shows my hard drive is full.

I have already set online-only files to zero “logical” size.

I spoke with Dopbox support who told me that it is only showing as full but there is actually space on the hard drive and will correct with next Mac update. 

I do not think there is space on my Mac. I do not know what "other" is. Every file I have is set to smart sync online only.

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/f3uc4ky1rngarnv/Screen%20Shot%202020-12-08%20at%206.25.37%20PM.png?dl=0

I tried to follow Dropbox and upgrade my Mac OS but Mac says that I do not have enough space to update. I deleted everything I can. My mac doesn't even let me see what is this "other" files that takes up half my drive space. 

Here is my support chat wher they assure me everythign is OK and Mac will correct it. As mentioned, Mac won't let me upgrade because it says I do not have enough space. 

I am, also, told in the conversation that I have everythign set up correctly and it only shows as full but my Mac should work fine. My MAc does not work fine. 

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/xw7tmzvlmqdrgp5/Screen%20Shot%202020-12-08%20at%206.30.07%20PM.png?dl=0

Thanks for your help

3 Replies 3

Re: Shows hard rive full on Mac

Dropboxer

Hey @kentog; thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

If you've rebooted your device after enabling the zero size placeholders, can you please confirm that the desktop app in your menu bar reports to be 'up to date' and not still syncing?

If you're fully synced and still notice this, the space might be taken up by the cache folder on your computer. 

In any case, please let me know what you find! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

I am also having this problem, and have cleared the caches.

Dropboxer

Hey @DexterH, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

The first step is to check the syncing status of the desktop app, which you can do by hovering over the Dropbox icon on your menu bar. 

Could you also send me a screenshot showing the space discrepancy that you're seeing? 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?