cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Many of us begin our Dropbox journey with a Basic Account, which has so many perks, and of course, it is free! Learn all about how to get the most from your plan here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Since enabling Smartsync, syncing never ends

Since enabling Smartsync, syncing never ends

teit
New member | Level 2

On my laptop the dropbox icon in the lower right corner get stuck at "Downloading 3643 files" it never goes below this number.

The Dropbox process uses 30-60% CPU most of the day every day, even when nothing seems to be goin on.

Dropbox is syncing tens of thousands files every day, and I cannot see anyway this reflects actual changes, us being 10 people, and the dropbox only containing documents - more or less.

Any ideas as how to get dropbox to finish syncing and stop using CPU all day?

Any way to see what files it is actually syncing - maybe I could exclude some location? Its even syncing at times when nobody is at work so nothing should change?

Is it possible to see why it stops at 3643 files?

Windows 10

Dropbox 70.4.93

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update on this @teit - I just found your ticket in our system and reached out through there with some questions.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there @teit   - sorry to hear about this.

At first, I'd suggest taking a look at the following page which addresses the most common causes for high CPU usage: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage

Moreover, if the files haven’t been fully downloaded yet, you can see the sync status by holding your mouse over the Dropbox icon. You can learn more about the sync icons in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/sync-icons

To see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names that could be causing this, try our lookup tool: https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Finally, you can view a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer in this Help Center article:

Last but not least, you could try changing your bandwidth settings to boost the syncing process and see how it behaves.  

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

teit
New member | Level 2

More or less tried all of this. Now stuck at 3644 files - that is one more offending file than before.

During the sync some files were listed that were offending, but I wasn't fast enough to identify them. Where do I find the list of files, that are unsyncable?

Unfortunately the logs aren't in plain text.

Walter
Dropboxer

There's no such log you could access @teit  - you can tell which files are left to be synced by their syncing icons. If you see the blue circle with rotating arrows on them it means that they are still in the process of syncing to Dropbox.

If this doesn't help, you can log a ticket with our team for further account specific assistance. Let me know the ticket ID here if you like so I can locate it on our system and get on it asap. 

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

teit
New member | Level 2

Thanks Walter,

Just did, the ticket is 9118619, Sync stuck on 3644 files forever

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update on this @teit - I just found your ticket in our system and reached out through there with some questions.

Take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.  

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @teit, just wanted to follow up and see if you were able to resolve your concern in the end, and if so, how?

Let us know of any updates! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9
Please share solution with the community.

Chuckw77
New member | Level 2

Please could you share the solution to this - same problem.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, thanks for nudging @Walter and I on this thread. 

We'd be more than happy to help, we'll just need a bit more info to make sure we have a solid understanding of what's happening. For example:

• What does your Dropbox icon (that's next to your computer's clock) show when you click on it?
  • Are you running the stable or the beta version of the desktop app? You can check this by hovering over the Dropbox icon.
  • Are you getting high CPU/RAM usage? 

Any additional details and screenshots (without any personal info) would be very helpful. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Need more support?