cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since enabling Smartsync, syncing never ends

Re: Since enabling Smartsync, syncing never ends

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes, please share solution with community. From my perspective when I open Dropbox desktop app for Windows 10 the bottom left corner shows Dropbox is "Up to date" but dropdown in upper right corner under my personal icon shows "pause syncing" is available and directly above it "up to date" is greyed out. I must admit that is very confusing.

I have been using Dropbox for some time now and I must admit in last couple of years it has become more and more confusing. Especially since the release of "Dropbox in S Mode". I have absolutely no idea what it is for and if I even need it or if it will enhance my usage?

Yes, please share solution with community. From my perspective when I open Dropbox desktop app for Windows 10 the bottom left corner shows Dropbox is "Up to date" but dropdown in upper right corner under my personal icon shows "pause syncing" is available and directly above it "up to date" is greyed out. I must admit that is very confusing.

I have been using Dropbox for some time now and I must admit in last couple of years it has become more and more confusing. Especially since the release of "Dropbox in S Mode". I have absolutely no idea what it is for and if I even need it or if it will enhance my usage?

dropboxsyncing.PNG

dropboxpreferencepage.PNG

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @George J.1, thanks for checking back in with us. 

From what I can see, the desktop app is up to date, which means that all changes and files have completed syncing down to the desktop app.

The option to pause syncing is available because you can choose to pause and, for example, any changes that you make elsewhere won't sync until you resume it again.

As for the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode, you can check out more info in this article

If there's anything else I can do to help, just give me a shout. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9

@Lusil wrote:

Hey @George J.1, thanks for checking back in with us. 

From what I can see, the desktop app is up to date, which means that all changes and files have completed syncing down to the desktop app.

The option to pause syncing is available because you can choose to pause and, for example, any changes that you make elsewhere won't sync until you resume it again.

As for the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode, you can check out more info in this article

If there's anything else I can do to help, just give me a shout. Thanks!

Yes, I read the articl already https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/s-mode but it didn't really explain in detail the differences or advantages of using Dropbox S (Windows Store) app versus the Dropbox Windows 10 Desktop app.

Lusil
Dropboxer

One of the main differences between the two apps is that the Dropbox app for Windows 10 in S mode doesn't store content locally on your computer, and is more similar to the mobile app and the website. 

I hope this helps clarify a bit more, but let me know if you have any other questions, @George J.1:slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

George J.1
Collaborator | Level 9
@Lusil thanks for the information. Can bother the Windows 10 desktop Dropbox app and the Dropbox S Mode app be used on my computers? But I assume it's a waste of resources to use both. I have read the article but I suggestion when it's better to use one over the other?

Lusil
Dropboxer

I wouldn't recommend installing both at the same time, but you can try each one separately to see which one suits your needs more. :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    George J.1 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?