Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Since sharing a folder, files were deleted from my computer, but they appear online

Explorer | Level 3

I shared a folder with another DB user. Following this, many of the files in the folder disappeared from my DB App and Windows Explorer. They remain online and in the other user's folder.

I suspect this has something to do with SmartSync (but I don't know for certain) because when I check the SHARE menu item on my PC I'm unable to select either ONLINE or LOCAL.

So how can I see the files that have been deleted from my PC? It appears to me that they were somehow deleted and are no longer syncing with the other user.

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Since sharing a folder, files were deleted from my computer, but they appear online

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi @arathra, thanks for posting your first question on our Community!

As a first step, can you please confirm that your desktop app shows 'Up to date' which means you're fully synced?

If your app is showing 'up to date' within your computer's system tray/menu bar, please check your selective sync settings through the app's preferences as there might be a folder that's being selectively un-synced from that particular device. 

In any case, please let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Since sharing a folder, files were deleted from my computer, but they appear online

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply. After several hours the missing files suddenly reappeared with - as far as I'm aware - nothing being changed on our part. So far it's been working fine so I shall keep an eye on it and see where it goes.

Again, thanks for your help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update on this @arathra.

It sounds like syncing finished succesfully after all and your desktop app showing 'Up to date' - for future reference, note that you can speed it up by changing your bandwidth settings within the app's preferences. 

Have a lovely week ahead and feel free to get back in touch should you come up with any Dropbox questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?