cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since when Dropbox begin to become more like a spyware?

Since when Dropbox begin to become more like a spyware?

Mike W
Explorer | Level 3

I recently got a new computer and installed the newest version of Dropbox in Windows. After the installation, I found my default system folders including Documents, Downloads, Desktop, and others were all moved into Dropbox. I DID NOT give you permission to do this, how come you change my default system setting without telling me? And you put all these in a HIDDEN folder under the Dropbox root folder? This makes me think what else are you hiding from me?

I was able to restore the path of Documents and Downloads to its original path, which should be under C:/Users/my-use-name. I was not able to restore others including Desktop. Please let me know a way that I can restore everything back to normal, or I have no other way but to uninstall it. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Since when Dropbox begin to become more like a spyware?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @Mike W, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which adds your computer folders to your Dropbox folder. 

You can turn it off by following the instructions mentioned in this article

During those steps, you'll be given the option to move the files back to their original locations. 

Give it a try and let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?