Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small shared images are zoomed to fit the screen and become blurry

Gato-Gato
Explorer | Level 4

When I share a link to something like a 200x200px PNG, Dropbox shows 400% of it by default to fit my 24" screen. I can't even unzoom it, so I end up hotlinking the shared file.

Why does Dropbox do it? Who wants to look at a stretched blurry image instead of the original one? This is quite a bad idea when it comes to artists and designers sending previews of their work to clients.

It should have at least a configuration option to opt-out but I'd disable it altogether because it makes no sense: if somebody wants to zoom in, they can use the buttons below.

Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Re: Small shared images are zoomed to fit the screen and become blurry

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Gato-Gato, thanks for checking in with us.

As a first step, could you confirm for me if you've tried previewing the file from another browser or an incognito window?

Have you by any chance cleared the cache before previewing?

If none of these do the trick, could you let me know if this happens with other files as well? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Gato-Gato
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, it happens to all the small images and clearing cache will not help – that's how Dropbox generates its pages. So it works in the same way in a private tab (with no cache), both in Chrome and Safari.

For example, I'm sharing this image:

test.png

Here's the blurred result I get on the shared page generated by Dropbox. Note the "433%" at the bottom (I can't even unzoom it).

blurred.jpg

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this, @Gato-Gato

I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to have more in-depth look on this. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?