cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync Disabled Everywhere But Smart Sync Behaviour Still Occurring

Highlighted

Smart Sync Disabled Everywhere But Smart Sync Behaviour Still Occurring

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I see some related posts, but can't seem to see a definitive answer on this. Basically, I find Selective Sync very useful, and Smart Sync deeply problematic for various reasons.

As such, I've turned off Selective Sync both in my local preferences and in the Admin console, and the default for files is set to 'Local' in both places. Despite this, when I go to open a folder I've Selectively Synched, Dropbox still has to download the contents of the folder at that point.

I need to make certain files local, especially for offline access, so being unable to do this despite having turned off all related settings seems a little bizarre. It's impossible for me to manually open every folder and subfolder in order to have the contents download so that I'm sure I have these files locally before going offline, so how can I make sure that when I opt for a folder to be synched locally, ALL its contents will be downloaded at that point, and no nasty surprises await me when I open a subfolder when offline and find it empty?

Thanks,

Oli

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync Disabled Everywhere But Smart Sync Behaviour Still Occurring

Dropboxer

Hi there @Oli C; happy November and thanks for using Dropbox!

As you noticed, when using Selective Sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may see the files appearing with a grey cloud icon beside them which means that the files are ‘online-only’.

Through our Smart Sync feature you now have greater control and can sync only the folders or files you need by right clicking, choosing Smart Sync and then selecting 'Local'. This helps optimize your hard disk usage.

Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want.

If you'd like to completely disable the Smart Sync feature, you can use these steps to disable the relevant system extension.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any more questions, Oli. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync Disabled Everywhere But Smart Sync Behaviour Still Occurring

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

"Once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through Selective Sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want."

That's a lovely way of describing it, but it's not how it works. The files I need and want are ALL the contents of the folders I've selectively synched. And the only way to get those seems to be to manually open each folder, which is obviously wildly impractical.

Are you saying that the system extension solution (which seems oddly over-technical and pretty drastic) is the only way to go back to how Dropbox used to behave? What I'd like is basically the Dropbox before Smart Sync ever existed, as being caught out with no Internet connection and also none of the files I need renders me unable to work on occasion. How this use case wasn't considered, I don't know.

Anyway, if that's the case, I'll go ahead and follow the instructions you shared, but I just wanted to make sure it was so before going ahead with something which, as I say, seems quite involved.

Also, please consider making this behaviour genuinely optional in future. I imagine there are a ton of people who need to work offline whose day has been ruined by this.

Thanks,

Oli

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?