cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync Download

Smart Sync Download

RamblinHawk
Explorer | Level 4

Hello all. I keep getting continuous notifications from Windows that say:

"Smart Sync Download

These files are online-only. To open them, first move them into you Dropbox folder."

I can snooze notifications for a day, but as soon as the snooze period is up, they start coming back. These notifications occur every second or two. All of my settings look--to me at least--to be normal. Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Re: Smart Sync Download

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @RamblinHawk, thanks for joining us here on the Dropbox Community!

Can you please send me a screenshot of this notification, so I can check it out?

Also, when this notification appears, are you seeing any changes in your files in the Dropbox folder? 

Lastly, what is the syncing status of your Dropbox application? You can see that by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RamblinHawk
Explorer | Level 4

RamblinHawk_0-1621270460709.png

Here is the message.

No changes in my folders when the message appears.

Status is "Up to date."

Thanks!

Megan
Dropboxer
Sorry to jump in here @RamblinHawk, and thank you for the screenshot! 

If you hover your mouse over your little Dropbox icon, can you share with me the version of the app you've got installed? 

It would look something like xxx.3.xxx or xxx.4.xxx. 

Also, have you tried uninstalling the app, then re-installing again, to see if that does the trick?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

RamblinHawk
Explorer | Level 4

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and it hasn't solved the problem. I thought that it would. Dropbox runs on my desktop just fine without this issue, with the same settings, connected to the same account. But on my laptop, I've been having this issue.

Version 122.4.4876.

Thanks!

Megan
Dropboxer
Thank you for all the additional details @RamblinHawk

Does this message appear at random, or do you see it when you perform a specific action?

Do you try to open any files when this happens?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

RamblinHawk
Explorer | Level 4

@Megan 

The message appears at random, and repeatedly. About once every four or five seconds. This will go on for quite some time, then it will stop. I never have any trouble opening files.

Megan
Dropboxer
Can you try performing an Advanced re-install, to see if the app behaves the same after this @RamblinHawk?

Keep me posted on the results.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

RamblinHawk
Explorer | Level 4

I tried the advanced re-install. The notifications are still happening.

Megan
Dropboxer
Since the problem persists after the Advanced re-installation, keep in mind that you may have a third-party app or program installed on your device that is causing this.

I suggest you gradually try to disable any programs, and see how the Dropbox app reacts when you do @RamblinHawk

That'd help you locate the app that could be causing it.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sam D.17 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropboxer
    RamblinHawk Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?