cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync Issues on Mac (nothing new)

Smart Sync Issues on Mac (nothing new)

Dusk and Brown
Explorer | Level 3

Hello I am running Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2

I have a dropbox business account advanced. My smart sync is not working and I am slowly running out of space. I have read multiple articles for the past days about this but honestly have tried it all and nothing is working. Even read multiple articles about emptying the cache folder which honestly I cannot find.

Please help I am a freelance videographer and I guess some of you can imagine the frustration when you cannot back up your data and how it just blocks your work flow as you have SD cards that need to be backed up in at least 2 locations but you cannot.

PLEASE HELP!

9 Replies 9

Re: Smart Sync Issues on Mac (nothing new)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Dusk and Brown, thanks for posting today!

I understand your frustration over this matter.

Could you let me know more about how Smart sync isn't working? Are files not being marked as online-only when you choose them to?

Have you enabled the 'Smart Sync update for Mac' on this page?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dusk and Brown
Explorer | Level 3
Hey so what is happening is that files are being marked as online but when they are it doesn't no reduce the space on my hard drive.

I have enabled the smart synced for mac option.

For instance to test it out I put some files as online only which was around 13gb, the space did not reduce on my hard drive. Immediately I then went to make those same files local and my hard drive space reduced by 13gb 😂.

Jay
Dropboxer
The certainly doesn't sound like normal behavior, if marking files as local saves space, instead of the opposite. 

I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

@Dusk and Brown 

When you make a file online only it temporarily goes in to a cache folder on your device which clears within a few days. Have you cleared that? By making the file on/offline you will be adding lots of data to this directory.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dusk and Brown
Explorer | Level 3

Hey I have followed that, it does not take me to the cache folder on my mac? Is there another way to find out where the folder is?

It tells me the folder can't be found.

Dusk and Brown
Explorer | Level 3

Ya just chatted with them they told me to do selective sync which I did and honestly the change in my hardrive space was lets say 100-300mb.

Jay
Dropboxer
Thanks for the info, I'd check with the support agent again to let them know that this information didn't help, if there is a lot more space being taken up on your device.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

thebossde
New member | Level 2

I have exactly the same issue. Folders are "online only" and still taking space on my hard-drive. And I also contacted the support months ago. Now I am talking about around 400GB and no solution....

Can someone please help me?

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @thebossde - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

If you made sure that the app is 'up to date' in your menu bar, and not still syncing, could you try deleting your cache folder?

Let us know if this helped improve matters.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    thebossde New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropboxer
    Dusk and Brown Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?