cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync Not working on Second Laptop - so trying download 1.5TB to 500mb drive

Smart Sync Not working on Second Laptop - so trying download 1.5TB to 500mb drive

J-T
Explorer | Level 4

I have Dropbox & Smart Sync working fine on one Laptop for many years.

I have a new laptop & install dropbox, but it is trying download all 1.5Tb to my 500Mb SSD 😤

I have paused sync indefinately as it has been killing my internet everytime i turned on this laptop.

I have checked the Sync preference and turned on save hard drive space.

however when i go to the downloaded dropbox files & right click there is no option to have it online only or local.

As soon as I unpause the sync it starts downloading 15,000+ files estimating 2+ days to do it

any ideas???

2 Replies 2

Re: Smart Sync Not working on Second Laptop - so trying download 1.5TB to 500mb drive

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @J-T, thanks for reaching out to our Community!

When you installed the application, you were asked if you want to sync your files as local or online-only. 

If you chose local, this all makes sense, because the files need to sync. 

Now, if you want, you can unlink the computer in question from your security tab, by clicking on the trash can next to its name.

You can then safely delete your Dropbox folder and uninstall the Dropbox application. 

Then reinstall Dropbox and choose online-only when asked how you want to sync your files. 

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Smart Sync Not working on Second Laptop - so trying download 1.5TB to 500mb drive

J-T
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Hannah
I have tried reinstalling it, as the first install would not allow smart sync without the admin password, & had this issue…
But I may have missed the unlink Computer step, and uninstalled and deleted the folders.
Will have to try again, next time I am in the office, and get the one person with admin rights to reinstall.

Side note: we have a USA parent company and their IT have locked down on all the new laptops, and given 1 guy the password but he is still not allowed to install anything for us, so it’s useless, but makes an nice i7 paper weight 😞

Thank you
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

J-T Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?