cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync and removing local files

Smart Sync and removing local files

Grant W.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm attempting to convert my dropbox folder on my desktop to smart sync, so that I'm not storing any local files on my harddrive in order to save space.  Currently, my folder has some local folders. 

I would like to

1.  Convert local folders to smart sync.  I've initiated this process and the files are currently displaying the blue sync logo and the other files are showing (i think) that they are already exclusively in cloud storage and not local.  The ones that I've smart sync'd have had the sync logo for a while, and I can't tell if there is any progress with the sync'ing.  How do I confirm that they are fully sync'd?

2.  Once the smart sync is complete, I would like to get rid of the local storage of these files on my harddrive.  My hesitation is that deleting the files directly would instruct dropbox to remove them from the smart sync'd ones in cloud storage.  How do I proceed with removing local files while keeping them in cloud storage?

46 Replies 46

Grambles12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you @daphne, yes, I can confirm that the folder is showing as a grey cloud, and that my desktop app sync is showing "Up to Date".

I'm using Desktop App v80.4.126.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Grambles12,

In that case, would you mind if I reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile so that we can look into this a but further through our Support channel? This will allow us to look into more account specific info.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Grambles12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

No problem @daphne, thank you.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I've reached out to your email address @Grambles12, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Uli_D
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok. I have one more question. How about later copied files? I copied some folders to my online folder and after sync they have green icon. I suppose the smart sync should sync them and then "delete" or "minimize" them and then they should have grey icon.

I have to  select them manually as online ... shouldn't be this automatic? I put it inside a online folder and I suppose it should be considered as online!

So please, can someone explain to me how this case works? Am I right that after sync to online the files are minimized afterwards? Or how? Thanx?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Uli_D

Thanks for checking back in with us! I'd be more than happy to help. 

When you move/paste a new file into your Dropbox folder, since all relevant info is already stored on your computer, the file stays local and the desktop app syncs it. Once it's completely synced, you can manually select it to be online-only

From there, the file will automatically be online-only in any other device that you've chosen for new files to be Smart Synced as such. 

Finally, if you want to set content in a folder as online-only in one go, you can simply right-click on the folder itself and select the relevant option.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mcgoody
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello. I changed to Smart Sync yesterday, but am unable to switch any of the folders manually from Local to Online Only. 

My hard drive is full, do I just need to give it more time?

mcgoody
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I changed to Smart Sync but all files are still shown as Local, and I can't manually change. 

Changed to Smart Sync: online in Admin and my User and on desktop yesterday

Do I just need to give it more time for the local files to be removed?

Or do I need to take more steps to clear my (nearly full) hard drive?

Thank you!

tracymcgravy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Spoiler

This isn't true at all. It is not a neglible amount, I still have "smart sync" files that take of GB of space. It's extremely frustrating.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tracymcgravy, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I just wanted to ask if you could send us a screenshot (without any personal info) that shows the space discrepancy you mention? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    GRWeiner New member | Level 2
    DrewH23 New member | Level 2
    guillefk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?