cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync and removing local files

Smart Sync and removing local files

Grant W.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm attempting to convert my dropbox folder on my desktop to smart sync, so that I'm not storing any local files on my harddrive in order to save space.  Currently, my folder has some local folders. 

I would like to

1.  Convert local folders to smart sync.  I've initiated this process and the files are currently displaying the blue sync logo and the other files are showing (i think) that they are already exclusively in cloud storage and not local.  The ones that I've smart sync'd have had the sync logo for a while, and I can't tell if there is any progress with the sync'ing.  How do I confirm that they are fully sync'd?

2.  Once the smart sync is complete, I would like to get rid of the local storage of these files on my harddrive.  My hesitation is that deleting the files directly would instruct dropbox to remove them from the smart sync'd ones in cloud storage.  How do I proceed with removing local files while keeping them in cloud storage?

46 Replies 46

FeeBeeJub
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having a similar issue to others in this thread: I am smart syncing files to 'online only' but a large amount of my hard drive space is still occupied. When looking further into it, my computer still registers as is those synced files are fully downloaded on my computer and taking up 100's of MBs or GBs on my hard disk. Any fix for this?

Another issue I'm having is that, every time I open PowerPoint, all .ppt files that are 'online only' get downloaded onto my computer. I changed my Dropbox settings so that PowerPoint is not one of my Connected Apps but the problem continues to occur.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @FeeBeeJub, thanks for joining the topic!

Just to clarify, if you make these files "online only" now that they're local do they appear to randomly become local again without you opening the files? If another app on your computer is monitoring or trying to access the files, this can cause them to be downloaded locally.

When you notice the issue with PowerPoint, do the files get downloaded when you simply open the app or when you access the "Open" menu and start browsing your local files?

If you notice this occurring randomly, I can suggest closing third party apps on your computer one by one until you no longer notice the behaviour.

Sometimes this can be caused by antivirus or security software as these constantly monitor your files, so those apps would be a good place to start.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FeeBeeJub
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for following up. To answer your first question about the "online only" files, they appear as "online only" always. However, my MacBook still indicates that these files are taking up a large amount of my hard drive space. My MacBook will suggest that I remove large files, and all of these files are ones that I clearly have saved on Dropbox and have specifically made "online only". I would be happy to follow-up with screen shots in a direct message.

I notice the PowerPoint issue every time I open the app. When I click on the PowerPoint application, Dropbox begins downloading all .ppt files from "online only" storage onto my local hard drive.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank for clarifying that @FeeBeeJub!

If you could provide me a few screenshots of the space usage that you see on your Mac for these online only files, that would be very helpful indeed. However, if you'd like to send them privately instead of here on the Community, I'd suggest submitting a ticket with our Support team.

The screenshots that we would need (either here or through a ticket) would be of the space usage that you see from your Dropbox files from the "Documents" section of the storage management window.

Also, for an online only file/folder, please right click and choose "Get info" and send along a screenshot of the size the file is taking on your disk.

Should you choose to submit a ticket for this, you can let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) and I can follow up with you there.

For the issue with PowerPoint, it seems that the app is trying to access the files which causes them to be downloaded. The most common cause for this is when the app has a "recents" list and preemptively tries to access the files.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FeeBeeJub
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your help. I decided to submit an email ticket (#11153888). I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @FeeBeeJub!

I was able to locate your ticket in our Support system and I saw that my colleague replied back to you, did you receive their reply?

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

GAKloncz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I would assume turning on 'online only' would remove the files, but it doesn't.  I can clearly see them and have used a size explorer utility which says all my data is there and my disk is almost full.  I may have to uninstall Dropbox, delete all the files (as they're stored in the cloud), then install dropbox fresh with online only selected right off the bat.  Sheesh.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @GAKloncz, thanks for joining us on this thread. 

When you make files online-only, they will still appear on your computer, but they should take as little space as possible. If you don't want whole folders to appear at all locally, you can selectively sync them. 

However, since you mention that online-only files still take up space on your hard drive, could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of the storage discrepancy so that we can have a better visual of what you're seeing?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

tiddybabby33
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

If anyone still needs a quick solution, I simply uninstalled dropbox app on my Windows 10.  This completely breaks the link, so you can delete the local files no problem, then go back and re-download the app if you'd like and be a little more selective with your selective sync ha!

rivaben
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I am facing the exact same issue: I marked a folder to use smart sync online only mode but it seems the files are still there occupying a lot of space on my HD. Just to be clear: it's not only the file name, the full files are still there.

How can I solve this?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    GRWeiner New member | Level 2
    DrewH23 New member | Level 2
    guillefk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?