cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync and removing local files

Smart Sync and removing local files

Grant W.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm attempting to convert my dropbox folder on my desktop to smart sync, so that I'm not storing any local files on my harddrive in order to save space.  Currently, my folder has some local folders. 

I would like to

1.  Convert local folders to smart sync.  I've initiated this process and the files are currently displaying the blue sync logo and the other files are showing (i think) that they are already exclusively in cloud storage and not local.  The ones that I've smart sync'd have had the sync logo for a while, and I can't tell if there is any progress with the sync'ing.  How do I confirm that they are fully sync'd?

2.  Once the smart sync is complete, I would like to get rid of the local storage of these files on my harddrive.  My hesitation is that deleting the files directly would instruct dropbox to remove them from the smart sync'd ones in cloud storage.  How do I proceed with removing local files while keeping them in cloud storage?

46 Replies 46

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @rivaben, thanks for joining the conversation here.

Can you try the steps outlined in this thread, to see if they help?

Let me know how you do!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rivaben
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hanna,

Thanks for your answer. I read the thread you mention, however my computer is a PC, not a mac. Does the solution work for a PC as well?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the clarification @rivaben!

Does this folder that you switched to online-only have the cloud icon on it, instead of a green check mark?

What is the syncing status on your Dropbox application? You can check that, by hovering your mouse over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rivaben
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hanna,

I'm on version 120.4.4598. The sync status is "up to date".

The folder and all its children shows the grey cloud icon instead of the green checkmark.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for updating me on this!

Since online-only files aren't supposed to take up space, can you check if this is related to the Dropbox cache folder? The files might not have been removed from it yet.

The cache folder is cleared out automatically every 3 days, but since the Dropbox application is "Up to date", you can manually clear it using the steps here.

Let me know if that helped!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rivaben
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I followed the steps and cleared the cache but it didn't work. The folder is still occupying more tham 100 GB of my HD.

I don't know if it could be related but just to give you more info: the folder is shared with another person.

Do you have any idea on how can I free this space?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional info!

Would you mind sending me a couple of screenshots showing this situation, while hiding any personal info?

Like, a screenshot of the size of the folder from the folder's properties and a screenshot showing the cloud icon next to the folder in your Dropbox folder, would be really helpful. 

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

rivaben
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Well Hannah, Today I was going to take the screenshots, and suddenly I noticed now it is displaying the correct size (just a few MBs)... so something that I've done worked. I am going to add other folders to online only mode and see if I can notice this issue again...

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That's great! Let us know if you need anything else.

Have a great week ahead!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Hans Cagayan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/make-files-online-only 

When you choose Smart Sync, the files are deleted from your computer but Dropbox leaves the name of the file as a placeholder so it takes up very little space. You can still see the file in your computer. For example, File A which is 1 GB, which is toggled to "local", would occupy 1 GB on your computer and 1 GB in your Dropbox storage. But if you toggle Smartsync, it will occupy only kilobytes in your computer and 1 GB in your Dropbox storage.  It's the next best thing to deleting the file altogether but retaining it in the cloud. At least, you get to see all your files in Dropbox if you Smartsync all your files. If you want to download a file to your computer again, you just click on the file.

You have the option of not syncing the file in which case, it will only be in the cloud storage and not in your computer at all. You will be able to see the file only when you log on to your Dropbox account and search for it online.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    GRWeiner New member | Level 2
    DrewH23 New member | Level 2
    guillefk New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?