cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync downlaoding random files

Smart Sync downlaoding random files

ceedee
Explorer | Level 4

I have turned on Smart Sync on my laptop and I'm impressed how much space it saves!

However, here's something that happens repeatedly: I have a folder that contains a lot of audio files. There's two subfolders that I am using currently, adding and editing files, the rest is archival stuff (about 100 files) that I don't need currently. However, as soon as I start working in the subfolders, Dropbox starts downloading other files on the top level of this folder, even though they are marked as "online only." That uses up bandwidth and disk space. I can stop every download individually – but is there something else I can do about it?

Working on a Mac with OS 10.14.

2 Replies 2

Re: Smart Sync downlaoding random files

Rich
Super User II

@ceedee wrote:

However, as soon as I start working in the subfolders, Dropbox starts downloading other files on the top level of this folder, even though they are marked as "online only."

Something on your computer is trying to access the files.

Any process on your computer that tries to access a file will cause Dropbox to download the file back to your computer and mark it as local again. This could happen from a backup process, virus scan, even just browsing a folder with previews enabled. If something tries to access a file, Dropbox is told to download it again.

Re: Smart Sync downlaoding random files

ceedee
Explorer | Level 4

Could just having a Finder window of a folder with these files in it be a reason to start downloading? That would defeat the purpose of Smart Sync - I want to see what’s I. The folder without actually downloading it. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ceedee Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?