cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync download error from External Hard Drive

Smart Sync download error from External Hard Drive

New member | Level 2

I'm going bonkers trying to sync from an external hard drive to my mac (running High Sierra). The files origiannly were on my NAS, I did a back up and clean, and now I'm trying to re populate an updated NAS system. 

I keep getting two errors, one from finder saying "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in " " can't be read or written. (Error code -36)" AND at the same time, I am getting a drop box error saying "Smart Sync Download 'File Name' is an online-only file. To open it, first move it into your Dropbox folder."

I can't move it into my dropbox folder, I tried erasing any invisible .DS files (and restarting the computer) that didn't work. I tried moving them with Terminal, didn't work. I tried using the program 'one command', that didn't work. I tried with chronosync (ignor permissions) that didn't work. I somehow got them onto this drive (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) but I can't get them off. So far, the issue seems to be specific to movie and audio files but so far that's what I've mainly been syncing, so I may just haven't found other issues. 

Please help!

Screen Shot 2020-11-07 at 2.52.23 PM.png

1 Reply 1

Re: Smart Sync download error from External Hard Drive

Dropboxer

Hello there @clerman, I hope you're well today!

Just to clarify, can you let me know the file path of where the Dropbox folder is hosted?

From the OS error that you're getting, it may be related to the file format or a permissions related error. 

I can suggest having a look here as a start to see if that helps at all.

Hope this helps to some extent!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?