cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync enabled still taking up hard-drive space!

Smart Sync enabled still taking up hard-drive space!

mike52487
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I noticed others have had this issue, but I have some files selected as "online only" via smart sync and they are still taking up space on my hard drive, causing my mac to tell me I'm running out of hard drive space. It's happening with multiple files, but I've included screen shots for one as an example. I'm running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, and dropbox v59.4.93. 

As you can see in the first screenshot, my Mac HD says my largest file is "CC IBD Training.MOV" stored in "Next Steps-->Citygroups-->Videos" folder.

"Large Files" stored on my hard drive"Large Files" stored on my hard driveNow if you look at this screenshot, I pull up the folder Next Steps-->Citygroups-->Videos. The whole folder is selected as "online only" as is the "CC IBD Training" video. Strangely, the other 2 videos in this folder do not show up on my hard drive, but "CC IBD Training" still says it's stored on my hard drive, as indicated above.Same file here indicated to be "online only"Same file here indicated to be "online only"What can I do about this? As you can see, I'm low on hard drive space and as a result cannot install MacOS Mojave.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mike52487 - sorry to hear about this. 

As you might know, there are various places to see the size of a file in Finder. Some of these locations will display the logical size, others the physical size. A Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device. Is it possible that this is what you're seeing in your default "Documents" folder?

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size: 

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

It is important to be able to view both sizes, not just to reassure you that the file is not taking up space, but also to understand the space and speed implications of returning the file(s).

In other views of Finder, your Mac's OS will report the logical size. For this reason you shouldn't be concerned if it initially appears that the placeholder is taking up space. To confirm the file or folder is not taking up space, please check via the above steps.  

I hope this helps and let me know what you find Mike. Oh, and happy Monday! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mike52487 - sorry to hear about this. 

As you might know, there are various places to see the size of a file in Finder. Some of these locations will display the logical size, others the physical size. A Smart Sync placeholder takes up approximately 0kb, this is the pysical size. The logical size of the file is the actual size of the file, if it were downloaded to the device. Is it possible that this is what you're seeing in your default "Documents" folder?

To see both the logical and physical file size:
- Right click on a file/folder
- Select 'Get info'
- In the properties window you will see the original file size, followed by the actual on-disk size: 

For example:428,510 bytes (0 KB on disk)

It is important to be able to view both sizes, not just to reassure you that the file is not taking up space, but also to understand the space and speed implications of returning the file(s).

In other views of Finder, your Mac's OS will report the logical size. For this reason you shouldn't be concerned if it initially appears that the placeholder is taking up space. To confirm the file or folder is not taking up space, please check via the above steps.  

I hope this helps and let me know what you find Mike. Oh, and happy Monday! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mike52487
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That was the issue! Thank you, Walter.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad I could help Mike!

Should you need anything else in the future, just let me know.

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a wonderful day ahead @mike52487!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ennik1009
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter,

Does this mean that even though the Mac shows full logical storage that downloads are still able to take place? If everything is set to online only, and there is actually plenty of storage.

Thanks,

Sam

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I can't be sure about this as I don't have much info at the moment Sam - could you share a screenshot of where you spotted the discrepancy so I can have a better look into this? 

While you're at it, could you also tell me your desktop app's exact status

Thanking you in advance @ennik1009 !

Walter
dropbox.com/support

ennik1009
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The sync is up to date. 

The screenshot would be similar to the above. My question more is to ensure that even though the mac reports that the Dropbox folder is 39gb it's on disk space < 1gb. So There is actually more space on the harddrive than the Mac is indicating, as it's showing the logical size. 

Does this mean if the Mac shows that the harddrive is full there is actually more space to download? 

Sam

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Sam - thanks for getting back to me so swiftly! 

While I'm not sure if this addresses your concern, I found a thread that has extensively gone through this matter and also has an update from an expert from my team that describes our current position on this one.

Here's a directly link for that thread:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/Smart-Sync-still-taking-up-local-space/m-p/32497...

I know it's not much but I hope it helps clarify matters further. Let me know of any updates!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hudsona
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Mike, 

I'm having the same issue that you originally posted about, however, I don't see how Walter's response would help in the case of your macbook telling you you're running out of space (Like mine currently is!!) How did this solve that issue? I'm somewhat computer savvy but definitely not an expert and I need this problem solved asap for work purposes!!

Thanks in advance!

maryam2021
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Walter, thanks. I have turned Sync on and its showing zero file size but it's still showing it as part of the available space and disallowing me to upgrade to MacOS. 

Help?

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.52.51 pm.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

maryam2021 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    hudsona New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?