cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Sync files added to a cloud-only folder are not automatically cloud-only.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm on a MacBook, latest version of everything.

I've chosen some folders to designate as cloud-only. All the files in those folders have cloud icons. Cool.

But if I add a new file to those folders, that file is local and I have to manually change it to cloud only.

What's the point of being able to designate a parent folder as cloud-only if any new additions to the folder don't automatically behave like the parent folder?

If this is by design, I'd love to at least see the option to make new files resepect the settings of the parent folder automatically.

If this seems like a bug, please let me know if there's anything I can do to fix it.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync files added to a cloud-only folder are not automatically cloud-only.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Rob K.19  - sorry to hear you're having issues with Smart Sync.

At first, just to get the whole picture, could you let me know how exactly are you adding those files to your 'Online Only' folders? 

Can you also take a look at your settings within the desktop app's preferences and let me know what's the default setting for new content? 

Last but not least, are you giving enough time to our desktop app to sync the changes you applied? What does it state when you hover your mouse over it

Thanks in advance!

PS: If you'd like to boost the syncing process, you can change your bandwidth settings according to your needs as outlined below: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/faster-sync

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync files added to a cloud-only folder are not automatically cloud-only.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am dragging, or pasting folders and files manually on my Mac.

My default setting for new content is Local, and I don't want to change that, but I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to drag a local file into a cloud folder and not have the folder become mixed content. It should at least be an option to respect the setting of the parent folder.  I work with a lot of files and it's a chore to constantly have to update the folder to cloud-only any time I add a file.

The sync time is not the issue.  The files are small and sync quickly.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah, thanks for the clarifications Rob - much appreciated!

As what you mention is actually normal and expected since those files need to sync to our servers first so you can then make them available 'Online only' (by right clicking on them and selecting the appropriate option), I'll take your comments as feedback and I'll make sure to pass them on to our dev team for their consideration - thank you for your input on this one!

If there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime, please do let me know; I'll be more than happy to follow up. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?