Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync - going from Local to Online Only

DevinW New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am trying to use Smart Sync to free up space on my hard drive, so I have been right clicking the folders and going to the 'Smart Sync' drop down and clicking 'Online Only' on the folders I wish to Smart Sync. But then I go back and the 'Local' is still checked. I have done it a number of times and it is not changing. 

Thanks,

Devin

2 Replies 2

Re: Smart Sync - going from Local to Online Only

MarjoleinM
Explorer | Level 3

Same issue here. Just started to work with Dropbox business. And I really need to free up space on my macbook

Re: Smart Sync - going from Local to Online Only

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @DevinW and @MarjoleinM. Sorry to jump in late to this thread. 

I am here now! In situations where files are scanned or used by third party systems, the online only Smart Synced files, can switch to local, for the third parties to have a full view of them via your desktop. 

Are there any third party systems like, anti-virus applications, programs such as Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop which have "recents" menus and could be using these Dropbox files? 

While it is not possible for us to tell which is causing your specific issue you can easily find what is causing the problem via your Task Manager or Activity Monitor. There you will see the applications that are running at the time you notice the recall.  You can also select them and quit them from there. 

Let me know what you find and if you have any questions. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?