cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync group uncheck

Smart Sync group uncheck

Explorer | Level 3

The new version of SmartSync seems to have not much in common with 'smart'. 

I have 2000+ subfolders in one folder and I only need last 300 to be synced. This means I heave click and tick 300 times? Why shift select is not available or any other means to group select and tick? This is not smart. It is, in fact, ridiculous. Or perhaps I am a total retard and not being able to figure out how to do it in a smartarer way. 

Is there any other way?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @503, thanks for posting on the Community!

Smart Sync is done entirely via the desktop app, so you can use Explorer/Finder to select the folders you want to be local on your device using shift and ctrl to select.

How were you attempting to use Smart Sync where there wasn't an option to use shift or ctrl to select groups of folders?

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Jay

Since the introduction of Selective Sync I have been using it from here:

DROPBOX 1.PNG

If I setup new machine, to avoid syncing over 1.5 TB worth of files I go straight there and select what is needed for that particular device.

Unfortuanely, there is a lot of clicking.

I understand that you can do it from file explorer but for this it would be needed to download 'online only' full folder structure. Am I right? But this is not a solution, what is the point of storing 1.5 TB worth of files and folders list if only a few hundreds are needed?

The selective sync tool access from Preferences, pervioulsy deployed in form of a calssic explorer tree, now in some other weird form that has not improved the tool yet made it worse. Excess clicking was also an issue with previous version. 

Unless it can be resolved in some other way, could shift select be implemented in Selective Sync tool accessed from Preferences? It is very bad tool in present form, though very much needed.

Rich
Super User II

@503 wrote:

Since the introduction of Selective Sync I have been using it from here:

DROPBOX 1.PNG

That's Selective Sync. Your original message in this thread asked about Smart Sync, which is why Jay answered as he did. Smart Sync is accessed through Explorer.

The selective sync tool access from Preferences, pervioulsy deployed in form of a calssic explorer tree, now in some other weird form that has not improved the tool yet made it worse.

Unfortunately, there's no way to use CTRL or Shift to allow multiple selections.

Unless it can be resolved in some other way, could shift select be implemented in Selective Sync tool accessed from Preferences?

Explorer | Level 3

Sorry, I mixed up two features.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?