cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync - how does it work?

Smart Sync - how does it work?

JW836
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I just upgraded my Dropbox to Pro with 2TB and Smart Sync.  How do I start using Smart Sync?  My hard drive is almost full already.  Can I still keep all these downloaded files on my desktop?

When using the Smart Sync, after each document I viewed and downloaded, do I keep them?  Or I need to download everytime?  If I change anything, will be be updated on my other devices like before, even the file was downloaded to work on?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smart Sync - how does it work?

Rich
Super User II

Open your Dropbox folder. Select all the files and folders you want to be Online-only, then right-click and select Online-only under the Smart Sync menu item.

You can select one file at a time, or select everything in your Dropbox all at once. Just know that the more you select at once, the longer it will take to sync. I would find the larger folders and set them to Online-only until you have enough disk space available again.

You can also go into Dropbox Prefences and set the default to be Online-only, so that new files or folders that sync to the computer from your account online will not take up disk space initially.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

Smart Sync removes the local copy of files and folders that you have marked as Online-only, while leaving a "marker" of that file or folder in place on your computer. When you open a file that has been previously marked as Online-only, that file is first set back to Local and downloaded back to your computer, then opened as it normally would be. At that point, the file is back on your computer until you mark it as Online-only once again.

Editing such a file is no different than before. It's downloaded to the computer and opened, you make changes and save it, then those changes are synced just like they were before. Marking a file as Local or Online-only on one computer does not affect the state of the file on any other device.

JW836
New member | Level 2

@Rich, thanks!

But  how do I even start??  I upgraded, and thought I would be be directed or showing me steps?  But nothing...and my dropbox is still saying harddrive is full...cannot sync.   

According to your reply, I need to mark every single one file either local or online manually?  what is my best and fastest way to now solve my harddrive-is-full issue and still keep using drobbox at the moment?

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II

Open your Dropbox folder. Select all the files and folders you want to be Online-only, then right-click and select Online-only under the Smart Sync menu item.

You can select one file at a time, or select everything in your Dropbox all at once. Just know that the more you select at once, the longer it will take to sync. I would find the larger folders and set them to Online-only until you have enough disk space available again.

You can also go into Dropbox Prefences and set the default to be Online-only, so that new files or folders that sync to the computer from your account online will not take up disk space initially.

JW836
New member | Level 2

@Rich,

Got it now, thanks so much!  I checked smart-syned one file and it's now syncing.  

Thanks!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JW836 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?