cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync issue in Mac finder

Smart Sync issue in Mac finder

New member | Level 2

I'm having an issue in the Mac finder with Smart sync-ed folders whose content is mixed between local and online only. Whenever the folder is accessed during a Save procedure or an Upload procedure, for instance, it seems like Smart Sync "triggers" local downloads of any file in the folder that has been set to online only. It starts at the top of the folder and works its way down the file list, downloading all of the files that are set to online-only. To stop it, I have to open the Finder window outside of the application I'm in and "chase" the descending chain of downloads, catching one in-progress and changing the Smart sync option on the file back to online-only. That stops the chain, and the downloads of the online-only files ends. But the chain reaction begins again anytime the folder is accessed during a Save or upload procedure. Is there a way to stop this from happening? It is supremely annoying!

2 Replies 2

Re: Smart Sync issue in Mac finder

Dropboxer

Hello @fiestafry, thanks for reaching out to us. 

As a first step, I'd recommend having a look at this article which has more info and proposes some ideas on how to tackle this. 

Check it out, and let me know how it goes. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Smart Sync issue in Mac finder

New member | Level 2

hi Lusil, thanks for forwarding along that article. After discovering other posts on this issue, it seems like this is a frustrating quirk of the Smart Sync as it currently exists - when the Mac's Finder (or other program) accesses a mixed-synced folder to either Open or Save a file, it triggers a download of ALL the files in the folder, regardless of whether they've been marked as online only.  Sure, it's possible to stop those downloads manually, but having to right-click each of those files every time you open or save something? What a pain! As someone who works with large video and audio files, I'd very much like the ability to access certain files in a folder without triggering the entire contents of that folder to be locally downloaded. If you're able to pass along to developers that many people would appreciate a fix for this, that'd be great!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?