cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync issues; Selective Sync default is "online-only" ! WHY?

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync issues; Selective Sync default is "online-only" ! WHY?

Helpful | Level 5

Turning off the system extensions is the answer. Thank you.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
I’m having the same problem as well, has anybody got a definitive solution. I only have one folder that I don’t want to be on my hard drive and I want to have everything else fully downloaded onto all of my machines. I have the space to do it so it’s really frustrating When I go to work on the file and it has to take a while to download it first, wasn’t that meant to be the point of dropbox in the first place!?
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @AdamRoxby, according to your description, it would be best if you set your default setting for new content as  Local, since you mentioned that you’d only be interested in marking just one folder as ☁️ Online-only. Should you modify this moving forward, it will affect anything synced down to this device from this point onwards. 

I’m under the impression that my suggestion above should help you achieve what you had in mind initially Adam. However, please bear in mind that if you’d like to keep all your content locally available whereas remove this single folder from your desktop’s view (i.e. without using Smart Sync), then it would be best if you adjusted your Selective Sync settings instead to reflect your folder structure as intended. 

I hope that the options relayed above are what you needed; please let me know here in case you have any follow-up questions & I’ll check back with you soon. Have a wonderful week ahead until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

No. The default setting of "Local" does not work. This whole new system is trash. The solution is to get rid of Smart Sync. You have to do it from the website for dropbox (preferences.) Once you do it there, it goes away from your deskop app and Dropbox works the way it used to (everything local and selective sync for folders.)

This is the solution:

opting out of system extensions 

It was mentioned earlier by "Jane"

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi there. Thanks for getting back to me, that sorted it out. Cheers
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This doesn't work - my selective sync is turned off, and local is switched on for new files yet they are still online only.  Please could you let me know how to make it local.

I have >500,000 files if that makes a diffference. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey EGMitchell, thanks for posting us your question under this thread!

Even if you’ve selected all your folder structure to be locally available through your Selective Sync settings, if you’ve recently modified the default Sync options, then kindly note that these don’t apply to previously synced content. 

If that’s happening, then you may have to either make those file Local through the right-click options or opt out of system extensions thus disabling Smart Sync altogether (don’t worry if you change your mind later on though; you can re-enable it at any time). 

Hopefully my message addresses your initial question & please do let me know how you get on with my advice in your next message. Have a lovely weekend until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?