Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync local only folders not working correctly

edurey New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi everybody. I have been having an issue lately with Smart Sync. Since I activated it, I made sure to mark some folders as local-only, since there are some files (libraries) that I use to work day to day. However, I don't really think it is working as intended since I had files moved in those local-only folders to online-only without explanation. What's worse is that I have to mark subfolders of that local-only folder so it does not move the files. I have slow internet speeds and for some files it can really be an issue that I need to download a file first.

I checked the settings and everything seems fine, except for the option to make new files which is marked to online-only and that option is greyed out (which I think is the default with Smart Sync enabled). I really like the option to have older files moved to online only in some folders, but not in my day to day local marked folder. What can I do? Is that how that feature works and I have to mark every sub folder as local so it does not move the files? Seems unlikely but possible. Thanks beforehand for your answers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smart Sync local only folders not working correctly

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@edurey wrote:

What I'm asking is if that behavior is the supposed one. My line of thinking is that if I mark a folder for Local-only it shouldn't touch any file inside it to save the hard drive space (even sub-folders). ...

Hi @edurey,

Yes, The behavior is the supposed one. That, what you say, is almost true, but not exactly! Yes, when you mark particular folder somehow (either local-only or online), same is for everything inside (files and folders). BUT, when you create new file (pay attention, some software - especially MS Office - on edit some file, actually replaces it, so new is created) it will follow that online-only, set for new files!

@edurey wrote:

... For other folders it is working as intended (files not edited in a time frame can be deleted and marked as online only, to be synced as requested)

If you mean different behaviour for different folders, regarding new file creation, I don't think it's currently supported. Probably you should post a new feature request.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

@edurey wrote:

I checked the settings and everything seems fine, except for the option to make new files which is marked to online-only and that option is greyed out (which I think is the default with Smart Sync enabled). ...

Do you mean "Save hard drive space automatically" turned on?! That differs from "Smart Sync enabled".

Hope this gives an idea.

New member | Level 2

Yes, that's what I meant, is it different? It is under Smart Sync in Options so I thought of it as the same.

What I'm asking is if that behavior is the supposed one. My line of thinking is that if I mark a folder for Local-only it shouldn't touch any file inside it to save the hard drive space (even sub-folders). For other folders it is working as intended (files not edited in a time frame can be deleted and marked as online only, to be synced as requested)

@edurey wrote:

What I'm asking is if that behavior is the supposed one. My line of thinking is that if I mark a folder for Local-only it shouldn't touch any file inside it to save the hard drive space (even sub-folders). ...

Hi @edurey,

Yes, The behavior is the supposed one. That, what you say, is almost true, but not exactly! Yes, when you mark particular folder somehow (either local-only or online), same is for everything inside (files and folders). BUT, when you create new file (pay attention, some software - especially MS Office - on edit some file, actually replaces it, so new is created) it will follow that online-only, set for new files!

@edurey wrote:

... For other folders it is working as intended (files not edited in a time frame can be deleted and marked as online only, to be synced as requested)

If you mean different behaviour for different folders, regarding new file creation, I don't think it's currently supported. Probably you should post a new feature request.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Ok I think I understand now. Thanks a lot for taking your time answering my question.

Edit: For anybody reading this and asking the same question, the key is that any new file will be marked as online. Probably what happened in my library folder was a product of moving files inside of it, or some of the software I use making new files without me knowing.

johnnieo26
Explorer | Level 3

I think I have a similar problem. I'm computer savvy and can write code, but this Dropbox was much simpler when I first joined. I am now working with the many photos I have stored over the years on Dropbox.  Recently I noticed in File Explorer, only 6 of the 24 main folders I have in Dropbox show up.  I have also noticed that inside one of the online folders there is a folder called "Dropbox".  Inside THAT folder is the contents of what I see in File Explorer.  Yes, it feels like the Twilight Zone!  I'm afraid to do anything. I think I'll try to chat, although my last experienc with them didn't go very well. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @johnnieo26, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I was able to locate your open ticket with our Support team. Can you let me know if you're still having this issue?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?