cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync not working

Smart Sync not working

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

When I try to Enable Smart Sync nothing happens. I click on Open Preferences, then Allow. No dice. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I am on a team using a business account. Would prefer to use the files NOT on my computer since it overloads my hard drive, so Smart Sync theoretically would be nice to be able to use. How can we make this work? I'm on Macbook Pro 2017  macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil I found this link on Dropbox community, this solved the problem.  Thanks for your help.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Admins-support/Inability-to-Activate-Smart-Sync-remote-mana...

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @chan01, thanks for posting your concern in the Forum, welcome aboard!

Initially, it’s to my understanding that you’re referring to this when you say: 
I click on Open Preferences, then Allow.  

In order to have a better understanding of the situation, let's first check what your Smart Sync settings are set to. For this case, could you send a screenshot of your Sync preferences (omitting any personal info)? Also, when you select a file/folder in your Dropbox folder to choose an option of Smart Sync in the drop-down menu, do you by any chance see the option to set “Local” or “Online-only”? 

Thanks in advance! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, thanks. It looks like thisScreen Shot 2018-06-06 at 8.03.49 PM.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey there @chan01, thanks for replying back on this thread and I apologize for the tardy reply. 

Thanks for the screenshot, it gives me a better understanding of the situation! In order to be able to choose “Local” and “Online-only”, I’d recommend unticking the “Let my admin manage this setting” since it allows your admin to set a Smart Sync option. 

I hope this helps. :innocent: Let me know if you have any more questions here and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

Hi there @lusil thanks for your reply! No worries, I was too busy myself for a bit to log back in. I tried your suggestion but same result as with the box checked. I tried starting as Local and as Online-only and neither work. The little wheel spins like it's trying but then goes back to the active link to Open Preferences.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 11.08.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-11 at 11.09.20 AM.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @chan01, thanks for getting back to me and for the additional screenshots. I just want to make sure that I’ve covered all ground with you and so I want to clarify my initial thought: When you uncheck “Let my admin manage this setting” (from the menu bar > Dropbox icon > gear icon > Preferences > Sync) it prompts you with the pop-up illustrated in your screenshot above, is that correct? :thinking: If that’s the case, in order to rule out some potential factors, please check the following.

As a first step, try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program or configure your firewall to work with Dropbox. Also, could you confirm that you’ve installed the Dropbox app with admin privileges?

I hope the above help in some way. If you’re still having trouble with this though, I’d kindly recommend continuing this discussion via email in order to further troubleshoot. Feel free to keep me updated on the matter & let me know in your next post here if you would like to be contacted directly, so as to let a member of my team know. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil , thank you again for your help. Yes, that is correct as you've described.

I can confirm that firewall is off for Dropbox and installed with admin privileges. 

chan01
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Lusil I found this link on Dropbox community, this solved the problem.  Thanks for your help.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Admins-support/Inability-to-Activate-Smart-Sync-remote-mana...

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer
Can you also confirm that you’re physically connected on this device chan01? Maybe Ross S. ‘s comment here will be helpful to you. Please have a look whenever you get a chance & let us know if his advice does the trick for you. 

Thanks again for your ongoing cooperation & I hope that you enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Curmudgeon
Helpful | Level 6

If you hate SmartSync as much as I do, disable it completely.  Go to your Dropbox home page (on the website) and then click your own avatar and select "settings", and at the bottom of that page, turn off the option for the "Dropbox system extension".  This will disable SmartSync for your account on all computers you have.  

You will have to re-link your Dropbox account the next time you launch Dropbox, and it will force all your files to your machine for any folders you have selected in the "Selective Sync" options. 

Need more support?