Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync - online only feature not working for new files

Diabeetus New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I set a subfolder to use the smart sync online only feature. After enabling the online only feature all of the files within the subfolder were moved to online only, which was working as it should. 

Unfortunately, any new files that are added to that folder are staying on the local hard drive. I have to manually select online only each time I add a new file to the online only subfolder to get them off the hard drive and into the cloud. 

Is that working appropriately or should new files that are added to smart sync -> online only folders be automatically moved into the cloud and off the hard drive?

This is for a Windows 10 desktop computer. 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Smart Sync - online only feature not working for new files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Diabeetus, I’d happily clarify what’s happening; thanks for checking with us on the Community on this inquiry! 

Kindly note that what you’re currently experiencing is expected, as the implication for newly added content is that we’d first need to hash files before syncing them to our servers. That said, it would be worth mentioning that any previous choice through the Set Up flow for Local/Online-only content or on your Sync tab would apply to content synced down to your device from our servers & not vice-versa. 

Hopefully this info helps you shed some light on the behavior, however I’m always here if you’d like me to explain any of the above in a bit more depth. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & enjoy the rest of your day!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Smart Sync - online only feature not working for new files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Diabeetus, I’d happily clarify what’s happening; thanks for checking with us on the Community on this inquiry! 

Kindly note that what you’re currently experiencing is expected, as the implication for newly added content is that we’d first need to hash files before syncing them to our servers. That said, it would be worth mentioning that any previous choice through the Set Up flow for Local/Online-only content or on your Sync tab would apply to content synced down to your device from our servers & not vice-versa. 

Hopefully this info helps you shed some light on the behavior, however I’m always here if you’d like me to explain any of the above in a bit more depth. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & enjoy the rest of your day!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?