cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync option is missing from File Explorer

Smart Sync option is missing from File Explorer

kkcljanice
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I upgraded to window 11 yesterday hoping that this would resolve this issue, but no luck. Now I cannot see if my files are synced locally or on cloud. But strange enough, when I tried to open a file via Word App, the smart sync icons magically appeared.

There is now a brown storage box icons next to the dropbox files, but no options to smart sync neither. 

I called Microsoft Team and tried to contact Dropbox, they got no idea what is happening... Can someone help me, please? 

Thank you ever so much.... 

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II

@kkcljanice wrote:

There is now a brown storage box icons next to the dropbox files, but no options to smart sync neither. 

That's not a Dropbox icon. It's likely from OneDrive or some other cloud application, and it's probably interfering with Dropbox.

Steve D
Explorer | Level 4

I agree with Rich. Google "dropbox icon overlay missing" (or something like that) and you will see a lot of discussions on the topic, including those within this forum. If you have multiple apps installed that use icon overlays and modify the context menu then they can conflict with one another. The simplest solution would be to uninstall those apps (or disable a function within) if you are not using them or configure them to not implement icon overlays (if possible).

kkcljanice
Explorer | Level 3

I also thought the brown icon is from OneDrive, but apparently it is not according to the Microsoft helpline.. 

Steve D
Explorer | Level 4

If you send a screenshot of your Dropbox folder showing the icons, perhaps someone can figure out where they came from.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @kkcljanice, thanks for reaching out.

Indeed, would you mind sending over a screenshot of how the icons appear, so we can have a look?

Just make sure you hide any personal info. 

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ari14
Explorer | Level 3

All my files and folders now have a small brown box icon and this has happened since I downloaded Windows 11. I contacted Dropbox and they said it was a 3rd party issue so I contacted Microsoft and they said its a Dropbox issue. How can I go back to viewing whether my files are synched locally or on the cloud??

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ari14, how are you today? 

Can you send me a screenshot of the small brown box icon you see on your end, so we can have visual too?  

Keep me posted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Steve D
Explorer | Level 4

Well, it looks like you are not the only one having this problem. Search Google for "brown file box icon in windows" and you will get lots of hits and possible solutions.

SteveD_0-1649224471592.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kkcljanice Explorer | Level 3
    Steve D Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?