cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Sync "online only" option doesn't show up in the menu (but local does).

Smart Sync "online only" option doesn't show up in the menu (but local does).

stubb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As you can see, there is no option for "online only" here. I have gone into "preferences" and enabled smart sync (which required going into system preferences to give it permission). That's all squared away. I also added the option to automatically make folders online only when they're out of use for awhile (apparently like two months?) - That didn't change anything. And I'm trying it on a folder that has the icon which means it's both local and online...internet is working just fine it seems. After some processes finish, I will look into reinstalling the desktop app / the basics, but would love to still get an answer.

I've checked the help documentation on the website and searched quite a few previous discussion posts. This feature is the most important feature of dropbox for me. I hope we can get it working! 

Thanks,

Chase

CleanShot 2020-09-04 at 23.14.16@2x.png

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) // 10.15.6

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stubb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Working now!

Just took a little time and a simple restart.

Thanks.

Moderator note: Feel free to also have a look at this most recent thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/I-don-t-see-the-online-only-option/td-p/6457... 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

stubb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Working now!

Just took a little time and a simple restart.

Thanks.

Moderator note: Feel free to also have a look at this most recent thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/I-don-t-see-the-online-only-option/td-p/6457... 

Kvothe63
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem, but just that the restart didn't solve the problem. Anybody out there ot help?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Kvothe63, have you installed the Dropbox desktop application with admin permissions? If not, this could be why you're not seeing that option.

Could you try following these steps to install it and let me know how it goes.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kvothe63
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

thx for the hint. I found a different solution.  First I went to the Dropbox settings, where I found a message that SystemSW update is blocked, clicking on the message I was led to the Mac OS security settings, where I had to enable the download of dropbox system SW. After re-starting it worked fine. But thank you for your help. This brought me to the solution I just implemented. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kvothe63 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    stubb New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?