cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Sync: some Files cannot be put on "online only"

Explorer | Level 4

Hello there,

after activating Smart Sync I am now facing the problem that some files cannot be stored as "online only" (German: nur online), no matter how often I try.

What is striking is that in many cases, these are files that I added to my Dropbox recently or that I moved between folders in my Dropbox recently.

Is anyone facing the same problem and has a solution?

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync: some Files cannot be put on "online only"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @loenne3000  Thanks for posting about this concern in our Community! 

All files should be able to become online only. Let's see what is going on there. 

Are you getting an error when switching a file to online only or are you clicking on the option and the application just doesn't sync the changes?

I would like to see the error if there is one. Please add it to your next comment. 

What is the version of Dropbox you have installed there and what is the version of your Operating system? 

Thanks in  advance for the information. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Fiona,

thanks for your fast reply!

Dropbox-Version: 82.4.155

Windows 10 pro 64-bit Version 1903

There are no error messages when I try to put a file on "online only" by rightklicking the file (or folder) in the box and choose "online only" in Smart Sync. What happens is the following: Dropbox synchronizes, puts the file on "online only" for a short time (about 4 or 5 seconds", then puts it back on local.

That´s all I can observe so far.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

New observation:

I just went to the Dropbox-preferences. There, in SYNCHRONIZATION, Smart Sync was set to "off" !!!??? How could the other thousands of files then be smart synced? After setting it to "on" I tried putting the same files as before on "online only". Sames result: it doesn´t work. Dropbox still puts them back on local after some seconds.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear the issue persists @loenne3000

Please update to our latest desktop version. 83.4.152. I am confused with the "on" and "off" setting you mentioned. Do you mean going into the Syncing Preferences was set to  Online only and then it was set to "Local" when you re-visited the preferences? 

As for the files/folders switching to "Local" so fast, is there a third party application that could be using the files at the time? 

Examples:

• Backup services
  • Antivirus
  • Recently used file lists
  • Third party applications that monitor files in general

Grateful for your time and patience! Thank you. 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona,

thanks a lot for the advice. Forget about the "on" and "off" setting. Everything was perfectly fine here and I just didn´t make myself clear

So I updated to the latest version of Dropbox, then I cleaned my Recently Used Files list, both without any change regarding my problem. Then I switched off Real Time Protection of my Avira Antivir Software for a moment and thus putting any file on "online only" worked. Thanks a lot for your help.

A general question remains: Is there a way to get around this problem? Switching off protection as a solution seems strange to me.

Thank you!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Oh!  Happy to hear there is no technical issue for us to solve anymore. 

Whitelist Dropbox, instead of disabling your wifi. Not sure what the steps are for Avira Antivir, but I am sure you will find them in this software official resources online.  

If you face any issue or have further questions, I am here for you. 

Thanks! 

Fiona

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?