cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Ross_S wrote:

Hi all, I wanted to clarify our position on this.

Firstly, to be clear, I'll state: 

When working correctly Smart Sync will free up your hard drive space, and this will be recognized by your operating system.

Based on the above comments I think a the main issue may be the time it takes to reclaim the space.

I've been waiting months for a "new snapshot" or for the OS to recognize it. Eventually I eneded up having to restore my HD entirely, so was starting over re-syncing my DB to my computer "fresh" and even with that, it still is reading too much data that's not there.

I'm in commication with DB support troubleshooting, but just wanted to chime in that it's unfortunately not as simple as just waiting. So this isn't exactly a resolved issue as of yet.

I have no illusions that this kind of technology is simple to create and maintain. But I do share frustration of paying for a product and service that doesn't work as advertized.

Thank you for your time.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
The reason I can say that it absolutely is a drop box issue is because one drive offers selective sync and it works just fine.
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Smart Sync and Selective Sync are different.

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Since DropBox already HAS the files there is no upload time due to file size. DB replaces the files on HardDrive with links to DB. At sometime, such as upon power-down & full ReBoot(!), macOS takes a snapshot of the files at which point the HD should appear to have more space.

Exceptional conditions, such as a HD that is sooo full that adding the "links" cannot be done, or such as the user not doing a full power-off, can delay your results.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Both allow me to effectively see my entire Dropbox or OneDrive account in finder but pick and choose what gets downloaded to my actual hard drive and what stays in the cloud. As a user, it's exactly the same to me. 

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Ryan, you can "see" all your files all the time if you use the web based access.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Why would I use the web based access when they've developed something that allows me to see all of my files in the finder without using any space (when it works properly). My point is, Dropbox is pointing the finger at Apple but Microsoft has implemented an identical sytem that works as it's supposed to. 

Highlighted

Re: Files are still taking up space with Smart Sync

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is also happeneing to me and I cannot remove it. I am completely aware of the 'ON DISK" size and actual size and even when its marked as online only and days after being that way it still shows size on disk to be "317GB" 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

this is far from being solverd and Dropbox needs to stop submitting that this is. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@DearMedia), while Ross S. (who’s one of our team experts) posted an explanation that could address your concern under this thread, I’m wondering how this has manifested itself on your end. If it’s not too much trouble for you, would you mind including a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing, so as to paint a clearer picture of the issue at hand?

Thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on our Forum & I’ll be awaiting your next reply on this conversation! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?