cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox has incorrectly taken up all the space on my computer - help?

Helpful | Level 5

I work at a company whose files are all saved online via drobox. I have a dropbox business account via my work email and have installed the smart dropbox desktop app that allows me to connect to all my company's files and for them to appear on my desktop without taking up space (because i have selected that all these files are 'online' rather than 'local'.)

I only make a small percentage of these files local so that i can access them on my computer and work on them. The rest of the files are all still visible but are online.

I have worked like this with no problems for almost 2 years until this last week. I'm now unable to use my personal computer to open any programs or save any files because I'm told my hard drive / disc space is full.

I deleted many files and trasnfered many others to my portable hard drive but I am still getting the error message. I have macbook pro and spoke to apple, they helped me locate where the large bulk of files were coming from, and it all seems to be on dropbox. my computer only allows 250bg hard drive space, but my computer is showing that dropbox is taking up 1.5 TB of space. When I right click the dropbox desktop app on my computer it shows that dropbox ia actually only taking about 56GB of space, which makes sense (those consist of the files on there that i have set to 'local'). So it seems that my computer is reading every single dropbox file that i have access to, whether it is online or local, as space on my hard drive.

I spoke in length about this to apple and they said there is nothing they can do and that i have to speak to dropbox about this. 

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?? I'm needing to get back to work asap and to be able to use my personal computer soon again too.

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox has incorrectly taken up all the space on my computer - help?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am having the exact same problem.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @tinamina and @VLH

Due to account-specific info that’ll be required to further troubleshoot on this matter, I’d recommend continuing this discussion via email. As such:

@tinamina, I was able to locate your open request from my end and can see that the specialized member of my team has replied to you via email. I’ve made sure to pass your comments along to them in the meantime. When you have the chance, please check your inbox for their recent reply and don’t hesitate to get back to them with any additional info or queries. 

@VLH, I’ve contacted you directly to your email address that’s associated with your Forum profile so as to further investigate on this together. Please check your email for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Thanks in advance to the both of you! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am also having the same problem, can someone help please.  Thank you

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Lusil, 

I am having the exact same issue and have had an open email thread with your help team for the past 5 days. The latest emails from them says "is quite likely that your Mac has incorrectly calculated the amount of storage used by your Dropbox." OK; but that still doesn't help me use my computer or store my files for the explicit reason I have Dropbox.

It seems like a number of DB users are having this issue - is there anything to be done? 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Hi everyone. Yes I was told the same by Dropbox as the above: that my dropbox files are being miscalculated (which seems to be it) or that my files are being stored elsewhere. This last option isn't the case because the size of files is 1.5 TB!! And there is no space for that on this computer. I will respond to dropbox now via email now confirming this but yes the problem still haven't been solved - even if that is the issue, i wuill need to have it corrected because i need to be able to use my computer and i need to be able to use dropbox desktop

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there, peeps!

@evelaws, I’ve made sure to send you an email to the email address connected to your Forum profile due to account-specific info that’s necessary so as to have a more in-depth look into this matter. 

@mcschneider and @tinamina, I understand how important this is for you, however, in order to ensure efficient troubleshooting, I’d kindly recommend redirecting this to the email discussion you have with my colleagues, since they’ll be able to investigate more effectively with the tools they have available from their end. I’ve made them aware of your comments here, so rest assured, they’ll do their best to assist you. 

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation on this, everyone!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Lusli. Yes I have been and continue to be in correspondence with Dropbox diretly about this. But I'd also like to post the help on here (to help others who are in the same boat) and also to check back on here to see if anybody has a solution to the problem. Because so far the issue hasn't been able to be corrected. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That’s perfectly fine, @tinamina I’ll leave this thread open for other users too.

If you have any updates or any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us. In the meantime, have a great day ahead!

Lusil

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello. I am running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and am seeing 2.24 TB of space taken up by unsynced Dropbox files. I have smart sync set up correctly and have even gone back to Dropbox settings to adjust my selective sync folders, hoping that would help. No luck yet. Please help! 

Thanks,

Kathleen

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?