cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Highlighted

Re: My iMac says there is 14TB of data on my 2TB internal, but my folder meing set to 'online only'

Explorer | Level 4

Any news on this? I'm now having the same issue-- Upgraded to a Pro account so I could see all my files and just not deleted the entire Dropbox app and files to see if a reinstall with online-only enabled from the start will make any difference. To mirror sentiments from this thread, it feels like a ripoff to not be able to use the one function I need.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Addressing this reply as I am having the same issue on multiple devices for a DB Business Acct.

First thing, your support team seems to be unaware of this issue. After the first round of troubleshooting, the problem persists and both an agent and supervisor assured me that this was an anomaly and that they had never heard of this issue.

Regarding support protocols, the support team for this issue simply acted as a filter to real tech support as there were not any solutions provided. Even the depth of investigating seemed irrelevant to what a higher tier support team would need to fully understand the issue or address it.

Is there an expected solution to this soon? We have multiple devices and Dropbox is basically rendering them useless as the files stored on Dropbox, all "Online Only" are causing the system to generate an error "not enough disk space". 

Not only is the flagship feature not working, but it is also affecting the way our computers function. This is clearly unsustainable. 

Email support is not what we signed up for and the 24/7 support that is touted on the site seems to be extremely limited. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the exact same problems.  I bought a new Macbook Air for work this month with a 128gb hard drive as I thought I could upgrade to Dropbox Business and keep the majority of my work files in the cloud.  But I get non stop warnings that my hard drive is full even though I only have around 12gb of files marked as 'local' on smart sync.  I can't add any more files or applications to my computer or even update to the 10.14.3 OSX update as the macbook thinks it's full and can't hold anymore information.

I have received an initial email from Dropbox support but I'm not confident of a quick fix now I've seen all the other users with the same problem in this thread.  But If I get anything resolved I will update on here to help others.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Exactly the same problem. Posting here as have been redirected from a newer thread by Dropbox forum moderator.

It has been suggested that this issue is caused by Time Machine and a lag in refreshing the Snapshots.

I dont think this is correct as my Dropbox folder is specifically excluded from Time Machine. Just to be sure and just in case the Snapshot process includes all folders and files even if not backing them all up, I will be running a Time Machine process later today and will report back if this has made a difference.

Like many of the other posters here I upgraded to Pro specifically for the Online Only function even though with my rural location and less than optimal bandwidth Online Only can be a compromise. Unfortunately I now have the worst of both worlds. A logically bloated hard drive that the MacOS treats as physically 75% full, and 100GB of data that I have to download to access.

Dropbox this is important. If Google File Synch, iCloud and OneDrive can make it work.....

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

You say this problem is solved. This is not solved and is NOT an Apple issue. I've been on with their customer support all day and the files that are showing up are too big to be in a local snapshot. This is a Dropbox issue and it's a big one. We need a real solve for this problem.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

It has nothing to do with time machine as confirmed directly by apple.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

To this date no real answer from support. Only after I pointed out this thread to the Support Supervisor did I receive a message regarding the issue and it was basically a copy and paste of the statement made here in the thread. A thread that I pointed out to them in the first place. 

Still no ownership of the issue. At this point, it is not clear if we're getting the service that we're paying for. The email closed off blaming MacOS rather than the technology which they designed to function on MacOS. Or is Mac expected to design their system to the needs of every 3rd party app developer? 

This hard drive space should eventually be freed up by the OS, but the amount of time this will take can vary. This isn't a behavior specific to Dropbox, but instead the designed behavior of macOS."

If the support was at least useful but just to get this information has taken days. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

@diLyon G. wrote:

To this date no real answer from support. Only after I pointed out this thread to the Support Supervisor did I receive a message regarding the issue and it was basically a copy and paste of the statement made here in the thread. A thread that I pointed out to them in the first place. 

Still no ownership of the issue. At this point, it is not clear if we're getting the service that we're paying for. The email closed off blaming MacOS rather than the technology which they designed to function on MacOS. Or is Mac expected to design their system to the needs of every 3rd party app developer? 

This hard drive space should eventually be freed up by the OS, but the amount of time this will take can vary. This isn't a behavior specific to Dropbox, but instead the designed behavior of macOS."

If the support was at least useful but just to get this information has taken days. 

This isn't even true though. They blame it on the Snapshots and that is not the case. I was on with Apple support for hours today trying to solve this. They confirmed it has nothing to do with snapshots. They also did their due dilligence in trying to find the answer for me, it has nothing to do with Apple whatsoever, it's a Dropbox issue 100%.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

Has anyone examined the properties of the 'shortcut' file that DB uses to replace the actual file?

Does that file contain meta-information about file "size"?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This problem has been going on for me since I got a new Macbook and the past four months have been awful. Basically since the day I got the Macbook, I did nothing but download Dropbox - synced only the two most essential folders (which are about 40GB) and yet I've been down to having only 12GB left since day one... 

The problem is that if you try to "manage storage," you can't, because every file that's in dropbox shows up, even when it's not taking space.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.54.57 PM.png

So you have no idea if the problem is something outside of Dropbox - in another folder. Because you can't sort what's actually on your computer from what's not.

But I manually checked the size of other folders and realized something was still wrong. I'm getting ready to quit dropbox. I can't take it anymore. It takes a thousand years to sync - and leaves no space on my harddrive. So it's a totaly flawed program. And I've had dropbox since 2013 (always with Mac)

But I did want to say that I just found out ONE of the problems. It's that when you click to Smart Sync a folder to online-only, it may not be syncing everything in the folder. I saw that one of my folders which showed online-only actually had 10GB still on my harddrive. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.30.33 PM.png

When I went through the actual folder, I saw that one of the folders had neither a checkmark, nor a cloud next to it. It had something that looked like a minus sign. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.29.47 PM.png

But at this moment, my dropbox isn't syncing at all. It says Up To Date. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.51.11 PM.png

So the dropbox is not doing anything to fix this because it thinks it's up to date. And the folder from the main menu says that this folder is online-only - when only part of it is.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.51.39 PM.png

The only way to fix this was to move that folder with a minus next to it - into another folder in the main area, and by moving it, it triggers Dropbox to sync. Then it shows the spinning blue circle and says - syncing 2,000 files. And will show a checkmark when it's done. And then will reflect a change in how much you dropbox folder has downloaded on the harddrive.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 4.52.24 PM.png

Mine now shows only 31GB out of 482GB - when it showed 40GB on the harddrive previously.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?