cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey all!

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @DBoxForumName! If you'd like to opt in for this, you can follow the steps mentioned here to contact Support for this request. Once you do so, you can always let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) and I'll be more than happy to follow up there.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations with this @SGrayTX, we're experiencing a large volume of requests for opting into this early access program so apologies for the delay. The "solution" on this thread is marked so that it is easy to navigate to and point all those looking for a solution to the right direction. With long threads like this, it's the easiest way to point towards an important post.

I hope this helps - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Team,
I have the same problem about smart sync, HD notification is full but I set smart sync online-only,

Pls help !!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @thnh0601 - could you forward me a screenshot of the notification you mention and another one showing your Dropbox Folder's content (omitting any personal information) so as to check their syncing icons?

While you're at it, please let me know if the desktop app reports 'Up to date' or it's still syncing changes. 

Thanks in advance and welcome to the Community!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Is this a joke? You say it's solved but everyone is clearly saying the opposite. I've been following this thread for weeks now, and nobody is buying your lies. I am paying extra for a feature that doesn't work, and `dropbox clearly has no idea where they're failing and they're trying to buy time with this "opt-in" nonsense

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the exact same issue. Has anyone found a solution? DropBox?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello all!

If you haven't already @danielefrazier, can you check this post here? It outlines the steps you can take to opt in to an early access program that should resolve the issue of the reduced space of smart synced files not being reflected correctly in the Mac OS storage.

Some users have come back to update us here that the zero sized placeholder program resolved the issue that they were having. I'd be more than happy to assist you with the opt in process if you'd like @hamaobama, just let me know here.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Online-only files taking up Mac hard drive space

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was just asked to enable "smart sync" on my Dropbox account (which they increased the price for). I thought it sounded like a great idea, so enabled it. Huge mistake. Instead of things staying in the cloud where they belong, things that had been "selectively synced" to only be in the cloud started flying into my hard drive. As a result, there is no space at all left on the hard drive, and a large number of folders are still trying to sync.

I have seen others say that this didn't use any disk space, but mine is showing that it is using gigs and gigs and gigs and gigs of space.

I'm about to cancel my Dropbox membership, because this is ridiculous. I can't believe I' being charged MORE now for this, too. Icing on the cake.

Highlighted

Re: Online-only files taking up Mac hard drive space

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @jnb

Welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

I'm sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused. I'll do my best to help! 

At first, if you want to use selective sync to completely remove content from your hard drive, you still can. 

Additionally, I'd recommend checking out this post which provides some info and steps on how to resolve Smart Synced content not showing the reduced space on your computer accordingly. 

If you're still having trouble with this or if you have any other questions though, please don't hesitate to nudge me and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Lusil

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

If you have such a high volume of requests to opt in to Zero Size Placeholders... then you obviously should be rolling it out to all users. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

This is ridiculous. I'm having the same problem as everyone here, on two laptops.  My MacBook Air with a 500 g SSD has 330 g of phantom space occupying the drive, and my MacBook Pro with a 250 g SSD is not just completely full, but system profiler and Disk Utility show documents occupying 500 g of 250. 

Even deleting the Dropbox folder and completely uninstalling aren't recovering drive space. My work laptops are now essentially unusable  -- the smaller drive completely so. 

I've gotten the same runaround as everyone here -- wild goose chase from support suggesting I call Apple, do "get info" on each file in my Dropbox (700,000 times? No.), and cheery escalation to advanced tech support, who answered ONCE two days ago about opting me in and then has refused to reply to follow ups asking whether there is in fact, right now, an actual solution rather than the ridiculous "accepted solution" that actually says nothing more than promise to fix this in a future software update.

I don't believe that there is an actual solution at all at this point. If there is, DB employees, post it here for everyone to use, not refer us to an empty promise.

Here's my support ticket number if any DB employee will actually follow up: #9775895

Has *anyone* here successfully recovered their drive space? I'm at the end of my rope here -- next steps will mean wiping the MBP and never adding DB at all. That's not really an option for the other laptop.

Happy to share my correspondence. If DB doesn't fix this, they've defrauded all of us  

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?