cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Helpful | Level 5

I've also got this crippling issue. My hard disk thankfully is not fully yet, but I've been watching it climb over the last few months, perplexed as I have switched many files over to "Online Only" to no seeming avail. It was quite enlightening, and disheartening, to stumble upon this post to discover the main feature I bought Dropbox for is essentially useless on my Mac.

I have submitted a ticket from my dropbox account, I certainly hope that I can get a reply faster than the month I've seen quoted in recent posts here. Seems that solving this issue should be a number one priority.

Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey, please help me out, just 1gb left on my Mac of 500gb, all files stored in the Dropbox cloud but Mac still sees them as local files. I'm missing deadlines because I simply can't work now. 

Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Collaborator | Level 10
If you read these threads you will see that Dropbox does not care about you or any of its customers and still have no timeline on a fix for this issue. You best bet is to purchased Box.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, I'm having the exact same problem as many here, and so I guess I am not granted access to the Zero Size Placeholder functionality, as I assumed was the case. How do i figure out if this is correct, and if so how would I go about applying for it?

Thank you,
Régis

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Lemberthe, you need to open a ticket at Dropbox Support and let them know you'd like to be added to the Zero Size Placeholder functionality rollout. They'll get in touch with you and keep you informed for when you've been added into it. Dropbox don't seem to monitor here, so you need to go directly to Dropbox Support to make it happen.

It ain't perfect, but it seems to be working for me so far.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

what I want to know is, why does it take over a month to get the patch? why does it seem like each patch is custom tailored to each user? if the issue is with APFS, then why can't one patch apply to all users on APFS and roll it out to all users on APFS? Dropbox is installed in the kernel, they should already know which users need it. why are they waiting for users to discover that SmartSync is broken and request a fix? if Dropbox can't figure this out, what hope do we have they will contnue to develop their main product!

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10
A month, try a few years.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
100%.

I raised this with support as they implemented the fix for my account. More than once. Their response? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Ignored that part of my email and focused on the usual customer service platitudes.
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

To follow up from my previous post, I emailed support to opt in for the "Zero Size Placeholder"

I submitted my query Nov 9, got the first reply November 11, confirming that I was being added.

I was sent instructions on November 13th that I had been added. It just required unlinking and relinking my dropbox account on my Mac. It spent about 3 hours re-indexing my files, and after that was finished, all the "online-only" files now do not contribute to my disk usage on my Mac anymore.

So from my point of view, this was dealt with relatively quickly. I wouldn't say the issue is resolved yet, as I haven't used it long enough to see if there are any bugs, but at least my hard drive is back to 300 GB free.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I submit my request to opt in for the "Zero Size Placeholder"on Oct 13. I received a reply on Oct 15 by tier 1 supprot who tried to perform troubleshooting (wasted time). I received notice I was added to the next batch of "Zero Size Placeholder" on 10/18... still waiting.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?