cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What projects do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane, i want to opt in to the “Zero Size Placeholders” program!

When is this update going to be available?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I want to opt in to “Zero Size Placeholders”.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

I have all the latest OSX Mac and DropBox versions ... Smart Sync is not working... still.
As a Mac Consultany I have dozens of clients with DROPBOX ... well, not any more, I am cancelling all the DROPBOX Business accounts, about £32k spend with DropBox, and we are moving to OneDrive O365 E3.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Support Ticket— #9918646: TEAMS: Enable Smart Sync — & Related 'odd' Issues

@Joan Hi, I recently upgraded my account to Dropbox Plus to primarily take advantage of your Smart-Sync functionality. It wasn’t until after spending days— maxing out my processor uploading files— that things began to ‘deteriate and I realised that my smart-sync was apparenly not working.

You know, this is not written anywhere, nor was I informed that smart-sync was only available by request. Being able to choose Smart-sync from my contextual menue would inply that function is available as advertised as part of the Plus Package that I paid for.

If I had seen all of the ‘unsolved’ complaints reported in this thread I would have lloked for other options and not upgraded to Dropbox Plus. Be that as it may the damage is done and for the moment I’m stuck with the upgrade.

So, now I am offically requesting my opt-in for ‘Zero-Size-Placeholders’ and hope that you guys and gals at Dropbox can get your act together.

Ticket #9918646: TEAMS: Enable Smart Sync — & Related 'odd' Issues

Shunyata

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync on Mac Isn't Freeing Up Storage Space

Helpful | Level 5

Sounds honest, for a change.  Just tell users the truth and give a projected realistic time frame.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Greetings fellow Dropbox Smart Sync sufferers. I found a viable workaround to this data sucking nightmare which has worked well for my MacBook Pro running OS X 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

After my business endured over two weeks of downtime from this dilemma I decided to find my own solution, particularly since the last communique I received from Dropbox support implied that either the user (myself) or my hardware was at fault for the irreversible loss of data I experienced immediately after initiating Smart Sync.

Assuming I might be dealing with a damaged cache, I previewed a variety of disk space analyzers and decided to purchase DaisyDisk after the trial version identified over 42GB of hidden space, equal in size to my dropbox folder x 2!

After purchasing the full version of DaisyDisk I was able to rescan the hidden space at the administration level and identify the humongous cache devouring my drive… 

com.apple.coresymbolicationd

According to Apple the cache “com.apple.coresymbolicationd” is used for debugging and analyzing crash reports. Given the absurd size of this file I decided to delete this cache, but not before reading several other forums. The general consensus is that it’s safe to remove, although one user wisely suggested a full back up because there’s a very slight chance that the system won’t reboot after removal, requiring the user to boot in Recovery mode and reinstall OS X. The following discussion group includes that advice and some other information on the cache in general: 

I attempted to delete the cache within DaisyDisk but the app doesn’t allow removing files at that administration level so I searched for a terminal based solution, which I found in the following discussion group:

By opening terminal and initiating the following command the cache will be removed from your system: 

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.coresymbolicationd

READ BEFORE PROCEEDING: Before I deleted this cache I downloaded all of my dropbox files to an external drive, deleted the contents of the Dropbox folder and removed the app (+ all components), none of which made a dent in my cramped internal drive until removing the cache, by the way. As I mentioned before A COMPLETE BACKUP IS ADVISED before removing anything at this administrative level. 

Surprisingly I’m still using Dropbox, but much differently than before. I moved my Dropbox folder to an external drive and only launch the app when I need to share and/or download something specific. Additionally I’ve set the app to not automatically open when I boot my computer and I haven’t experienced any of these problems since.

Keep in mind that your Smart Sync issues may be different from mine. I can only vouch for my own experience with this dilemma. Either way I’d highly suggest investing in a disk space analyzer to see if you’re burdened with the same gluttonous cache that I was. 

Best of luck!

Ron
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I have finally been anointed with the "Zero Size Placeholder" functionality on my iMac running Catalina on an APFS volume. To get it working, I needed to unlink then relink my Dropbox on the iMac, which is a bit of a PITA. Yes, in theory it shouldn't be a hassle, but my Dropbox folder has bloated in size as some things I thought I already designated Smart Sync are, for some reason, taking up space. After redesignating some of them online only Smart Sync, the size seems to have reduced. Still...it's just all this stuffing around with selecting folders, waiting for them to Smart Sync...it's a drain.

@RonGassaway, I think you might be dealing (or have dealt) with something a bit different from many here, as the Zero Size Placeholder is intended for those with APFS-formatted MacOS system drives, which isn't in Yosemite. But it's good to see you've made progress with your issue.

But not forget that this is beta testing for something that's advertised as a key feature of a paid product. Dropbox: that's not good. This isn't some niche user system you're having issues with, it's Apple. It's MacOS. APFS was announced three-and-a-half years ago

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

I see that folders file too like this: [had to chnage permissions to see it FYI]Screenshot 2019-11-06 09.23.35.pngScreenshot 2019-11-06 09.29.32.pngScreenshot 2019-11-06 09.29.38.png

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8
I tried your suggestion thank you, but it made no change for me :-(

Mac OSX 10.14.latest and Mac OSX 10.15.1.latest
DROPBOX latest
Smartsync turned on in DROPX website prefs too.
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

I am assumng here that each* Computer can have different Online / Local settings using the same DROPBOX Pro Account?

... and that they* are individual and not over-ruled by the One DROPBOX settings for all?

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?