cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Helpful | Level 5

This is still not working. Please fix it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I don't understand..

Is this update working now? My iMac is almost full due to the logical size of dropbox smart-sync files... 

I hope a real and fast solution can be found since dropbox is an expensive service.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

i've been waiting for almost 2 months. they're still scratching their heads and giving me excuses. i think it's time to move on to someting else... what other cloud storage/file sharing service offers a feature like Smart SYnc that actually works?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I've been planning on looking into Box.com and Egnyte.  I've been so busy, I haven't had a chance, but now my business partner is also having this problem.  So we have to do something!  I'll be curious to know if others have found a good alternative.  Thx.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having this same problem. Dropbox Pro and my laptop on MacOS 10.14.6 is saying the disk is full from dropbox even though i have the files as read only. All of the big files are still registering as full size files on macos in optimising storage etc..  Going to have to switch to another storage solution if this isn't fixed anytime soon.  Paying over €20 a month for Dropbox and it's not working right.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for sharing. This seems interesting. When my annual subscription with DB runs out and the problem is still not fixed ill be definitely looking at the alternative options.

Highlighted

Re: 2018 Macbook air - Dropbox - using up hard drive space

Explorer | Level 4

What I have done is to make most files on the dropbox "online only". while the memory graphic show my computer is full the actual memory available is large (195GB out of 499 GB).  See attached. I am now not getting the memory full warnings.

Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 7.46.48 am.png

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

For anybody that doesn't want to use the workaround developed by dropbox, as this removes the ability to see the size of the file that you are about to download, you can create a Sparse Bundle using mac's Disk Utility. This will act as a thumb drive/external hard drive, but its housed on your mac. This also removes the logical size taking up space, but you can still use its information to make informed downloads (this is very important if you are a video editor w/ limited space)

Here is a tutorial on how to make one. ( I set the size to 100 GB, but you can set it as high or as low as you want. Some people may only need a max file size of 25 GB.) It is important to set a limit that is less than the size of your hard drive.

https://blog.fosketts.net/2015/07/22/how-to-use-mac-os-x-sparse-bundle-disk-images/

Once made, change the location that you sync your files to.

Disk_Utility.png

Hope this helps!

-Alex

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Alex,

Thanks for this.  I just skipped your post as well.  Seems like an interesting solution and one I'm considering trying, even though I'm not tech savvy.  However, I just came back here and reread that you say: It is important to set a limit that is less than the size of your hard drive. 

I'm wondering if this means that your solution won't work for me and the others, because the problem we have is that the mac "thinks" that our thumbnails are as large as the originals?   The problem we have is when the mac thinks our hard drive is full when it's not.   

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Our company is leaving dropbox for a different cloud storage solution because of this issue . Even our Dropbox representative said there was nothing they could do. All other cloud storage applications allow cloud-only storage to save local space. I don't recomend dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?