cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Online-only files taking up Mac hard drive space

Explorer | Level 3

i got lucky and got the disk space back first time after reinstall and whiping. Can not replicate im afraid i just used cleanmymac to uninstall and it also wiped the cash probably. 

BUT, im still angry about this not working and all off us being promised remedies but nothing being done

its stupid, enroll people with a click in some beta system, put our accounts in there and get working on the fix for an official release. Thats the only way to go about this 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I too am finding this deeply troubling. While the technical support people are doing their jobs as best as they can, the guidance they're being given from their management is nothing more than a stalling technique. I enrolled in the Zero placeholder program months ago with no feedback from DB other than 'you're in the queue and we'll get to you'.

At this point, I do not have confidence that Dropbox have a solution to this problem (and make no mistake DB, if you're charging us for a feature that doesn't actually work, then it's a serious problem).

Perhaps the next macOS update will "magically" fix the problem and treat HD space based on the actual file size of the placeholders instead of their labeled sizes. But if it doesn't, I'll cancel my DB account and seek an alternative solution because this one simply isn't working for me.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey everyone, thanks for your ongoing reports here!

I'm sorry to hear about the frustration this has caused. 

@scottgreenwood and @tonyingram,  I was able to locate each of your tickets and have made sure to pass your comments along to the specialized members of the team reviewing this with you. I've given them a nudge so they'll get back to you as soon as they have more info. 

@tdre and @ChristianReady, I can see that my colleagues have replied to each of your support requests. Please make sure to check your inboxes for their latest messages and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to get back to them. Rest assured, they'll do their best to assist you. 

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Lusil,

This is the pattern on this forum. Someone brings attention to this issue, a support tech respomnds to them, it gets escalated, the advanced tech opts someone in to the zero placeholder "program," and DB then has someone here write an assurance that things are happening.

They aren't. It's all stall, delay,and obfuscate. Please post a public fix for this immediately *right here.*

Today's update: Dropbox is still holding 330g of phantom space on my MacBook Air. It's barely usable. On my second Mac, a MBP with 250g, I followed your tech's email on uninstalling to the letter, even running commands in the terminal. Surprise, surprise, despite uninstalling and trashing all the files in my local DB folder, Dropbox is still paralyzing the drive, completely filling it and making that machine unusable, despite having no locally stored documents from DB or anyone else. That machine's only user content was the Dropbox. At this point, I am going to have to reformat the drive and do a clean install. I will *not* be installing your product, obviously. I will have to address the other machine later.

I demand, now, that Dropbox provide 1) an actual fix -- today; 2) a procedure to purge all of the drive space that Dropbox's incompetent file management has filled up, despite uninstallation and deletion; and 3) compensation for the paid account and aggravation for forcing me to spend days attempting to remedy this situation. 

Hey, Dropbox engineers -- how about releasing an uninstaller app like decent software vendors do? We shouldn't have to run terminal commands and root around in system libraries to get rid of all vestiges of your defective product.

Fix this now, please, or the lawsuits are coming. This is not a minor inconvenience -- it is affecting the ability of millions of Mac users to access and use our own files and computers.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Lots of us frustrated on this thread. Any one got any recommendations on best alternatives to DB as we all seem agreed this isn’t working?
Highlighted

del

Collaborator | Level 9

del

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I recomment people NOT joining the beta program of zero-space placeholders.  It will set all the modified dates of your files and folders to the current date, which to me is a disaster; I rely on the modified date to find the new work/things I have. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for that info @LucaPCP 

I enquired about and was offered the zero-beta and said yes on 25 September. Apart from an email acknowledging this with "a few days" to action, I have not heard anymore. The chat I had with the support staff member, had no discussion regarding modification dates. I will now reply to that email and request to leave me out. For the time being, it will be back to a combination of offline and selective sync for me on my Macs! 

Highlighted

Re: Online files still taking space in my Mac!!

Helpful | Level 6
This explains a lot. I was wondering why Dropbox seems totally pointless in use. Nothing I do will help me now I’ve reached my mac hardrive’s limit. And now I know why... Dropbox doesn’t apart from as a backup to the size of your machines hard drive. But I pay for 3tb.... nice work! Can I get a refund please?
Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

oh - thanks so much for reporting this. this would be desaster for me as well. I'm not going to even try. thank you! I hope you can "restore" your dropbox to the point before you installed the zero size placeholder version. 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?