cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Smart Sync won't enable

Skottichan New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I purchased a 2019 iMac last night, and did my usual setup. When I went to set some stuff to online only, I noticed the Smart Sync function wasn't there when I right clicked on the folder. Going into the preferences, I found "Smart Sync isn't enabled", and when I click on Enable, nothing happens.

I double checked my old iMac and Smart Sync still works.

Both systems are on OSX 10.14.6 and Drpbox v81.3.185

9 Replies 9

Re: Smart Sync won't enable

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Skottichan - sorry to hear you're having issues with enabling Smart Sync on your iMac. 

To begin with, I couldn't help by notice that you're using a beta version of our desktop app (beta versions are denoted by the second row of digits - in your case the XX.3.YYY portion is indicative of the experimental build you're using). 

As beta builds are still in the testing process, you could bump into some issues or an inconsistent experience.

At this point, to isolate the issue, I would highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application.

First you'll need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

1. Log in to www.Dropbox.com using your web browser.
  2. Click on you account picture/avatar at the top right corner of the page.
  3. Click on "Settings".
  4. From the "General" tab, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

Then, use the following link to install the latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=80.4.126&plat=mac&type=full

Once you install the stable build, it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes but your app's functionality should return to normal.

Keep me posted on your results please!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MattFahrner
Helpful | Level 5

Same problem on a MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2016) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with Dropbox version v80.4.127.

Says "Smart Sync isn't enabled" and offers "Enable", but won't enable when I click it.

Fully uninstalling (including with App Cleaner Pro) and reinstalling yields the same effect. On install it claims it is enabling Smart Sync and that everything will be in the cloud. However once Dropbox fires up, it isn't in Smart Sync mode and downloads everything flooding my disk.

I have a Plus account and it works on other Macs.2019-09-17_14-14-39 (1).png2019-09-17_14-14-39 (1).png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about your issue with enabling Smart Sync on one of your devices @MattFahrner. Let's have a look into this now.

Could you please check the following in order to further troubleshoot this issue?

• Do you have an antivirus, firewall or proxy/VPN setting that could be messing with our desktop app?
  • Do you have the desktop app installed with admin rights on the affected machine?
  • Do you get any messages or errors when clickin on the 'enable' button? If you do, could you forward me a screenshot? 
  • Do you happen to have the relevant System extension blocked by any chance? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there Matt!

Walter

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

MattFahrner
Helpful | Level 5

I was actually able to get it to fly by unchecking all in "Selective Sync", then clicking the  Smart Sync "Enable" (I think the process was too busy trying to sync to service the "Enable" button). Unfortunately at that point when it tried to open the necessary system dialog, it hung and I had to reboot. However when it came back up it offered the Smart Sync in notifications and when I clicked it properly gave the system dialog to allow it. From there I went back to "Selective Sync", checked all, and it seems to be working properly.

Thanks Walter.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear you managed to resolve your concern in the end Matt!

Thanks for posting what worked for you too (as it might help out other users stumbing upon the same issue) - it's most appreciated. 

It goes without saying that we're always a post away should a hiccup (or even a question) comes up in the future.

Have a lovely day!

Walter

celebutante New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Admin... you guys should definitely put this in a FAQ or something of that nature. I banged my head against the wall for an hour reading various forum posts trying to get Smart Sync working on my brand-new Mac Mini with OS 10.14.6 before finally finding this post. 

vpny New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I setup a fresh Copy of Catalina and was experiencing the issue where SmartSync was not enabled although it reported so, not showing as an option in the context menu of the Mac, nor did I have the ability to enable it by pressing the option to enable it in the Dropbox menu.  In addition, Dropbox was attempting to download all the files from my account to the Mac.  After a couple of hours troubleshooting, removals and installs, attempting to stop the numerous dropbox instances in Activity Monitor that wouldn't stay stopped, etc, the final fix was as follows:

1. Uninstall/Reinstall making sure to complete the optional steps found here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/uninstall-dropbox

2. Upon setting up Dropbox, go to Sync - Selective Sync and disable all the parent folders.  Wait for that sync/detection to finish.  

3. Dropbox should now present the option for the SmartSync extension installation.  Install that by via System Preferences - Security & Privacy - General on the Mac.

4. At this point the "smart sync is not enabled" message should disappear from the Dropbox settings Preferences - General menu.

5. Return to Selective Sync in dropbox, enable all the folders (if that is your default preference) then go to Finder and double check the folders you want smartsync enabled for are set as such (right click context menu - smartsync).  

6. Issue resolved.

lukesouthern New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

None of these worked. I tried unchecking all in the Selective Sync, then enabling the Smart Sync, but when it opens the System Preferences, I click "Allow" and it does nothing. Several restarts later and still not working. Frustrated.

ajknapp New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The "Allow" prompt in the system preferences does not show up for me, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?