cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync and storage

Smart sync and storage

Explorer | Level 4

I am running Dropbox on my Macbook Pro and have smart sync set for onlne-only in order to save storage space on my laptop.  But I am constantly running (almost) out of storage.  Currently, when I look at my storage, it shows 35 GB of documents.  But I think almost all documents are in my Dropbox folder and marked for smart sync.   But if I look at the Dropbox Folder Info it shows the folder is almost 20.   

I am confused - I though smart sync meant the files and doccuments would not count towards my overall storage.

John

12 Replies 12

Re: Smart sync and storage

Dropboxer

Hey @joebir, let's see what we can find here. 

You are right, Smart Sync reduces the amount of space files take up on your hard drive to save local storage.

Could you send me a screenshot of what the syncing icons in your Dropbox folder are and what your menu bar's Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it? 

If you have any trouble attaching an image in your next reply, feel free to send it to me as a shared link, instead. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply Lusil.  Tried to upload images, but didnt work, so here are the dropbox linkslinks:

1. Dropbox folder: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/j9krbqh2otsrt07/Screenshot%202020-12-18%20at%2009.01.09.png?dl=0 

2. Menu bar icon: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/wqayqc6wen6eqez/IMG_2854.jpg?dl=0 

3. Manage storage screen on macbook: https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/r6zd71cucobd2fx/Screenshot%202020-12-18%20at%2009.16.12.png?dl=0 

Grateful for any help you can give. 

John

Dropboxer

Thanks for the shared links, John!

From the screenshots, it doesn't seem like the files you show are in your Dropbox folder. 

Since Smart Sync will only work for items that are in your Dropbox folder, could you let me know if you can set any of them to online-only?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lusil

Thanks for getting back to me.

As far as I can tell, in this screenshot of my dropbpx folder ALL folders and files have the cloud symbol for On-line only.

https:confused face:/www.dropbox.com/s/ztkx3vyf151y576/Screenshot%202020-12-23%20at%2023.33.35.png?dl=0 

Is this not correct?

John

Dropboxer

Could you send me one more screenshot of the Get Info window so as to have a better visual of the issue?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Hi again

Here is link to screensh of the Get Info file for my Dopbox folder.  It seems to say that file itself is 19 +GB but on disk it only takes 768Mb.  But as you have seen on my memory management screen for my Macbook it is taking up 19 + GB of space!!

In the meantime have a great Christmas / holiday.  Look forward to hearing abck form you anytime.

John

Dropboxer

Hey @joebir, I'm afraid I didn't get a screenshot in your reply. 

Could you try once more?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Dropboxer

It's possible that the Manage storage screen is showing the logical size of the files, and not the physical size of the files (the size on disk in the previous image you provided).

Have you enable the 'Smart Sync update for Mac' option on this page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?