cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync not too smart

Smart sync not too smart

Bob76
New member | Level 2

So I have been using Dropbox for 10 years and last week received a new laptop and setup my Dropbox account onto it. During setup there is a lot about this Smart Sync. Didn't think too much of it initially and as usual had my main folder for work that I like to have on my SSD so that it is availble offline as I need access to the files frequently offline. Then noticed that the files are not available at all without an internet connection (after disconnecting my PC from the internet and testing). 

Must be nice working at Dropbox or living in their ideal world where the internet is always available and at a good speed but this is not the reality for a lot of people and certainly not for me traveling to different workplaces. 

I have since resolved the problem by disconnecting so called Smart Sync but Dropbox I think you need to be clearer to people loading in your software exactly what it is the Smart Sync is doing and the consequences of it. 

Further during setup when it asked if I would like to backup my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders on my Windows PC I thought why not, only to find that it had deleted all my desktop icons, all my documents and downloads! I assume this is also part of the Smart Sync (said sarcastically). Again I have managed to re-instate them but what a waste of my time. 

Not so much a Smart Sync as Stupid Sync, thanks Dropbox for wasting my time. 

2 Replies 2

Re: Smart sync not too smart

Jay Rome
Explorer | Level 4

I had a similar experience.  DropBox transferred files on my old computer to DropBox cloud, but did not install them on the new computer as software states.  DropBox also removed all my files from the old computer.  I figured out how to get them back on my old computer, but it took hours of work.  I have an HP Smart Friend account and 3 of its agents could not figure out what to do.  All advised never rely on DropBox to transfer files to a new computer.

I submitted a question to "DropBox Community", got a confirmation from DropBox.  No reply after 3 days and my request cannot be found.  I need the files available offline.  TERRIBLE customer service.  Cannot contact an agent through chat or phone with this problem that is not covered by its useless "DROPBOT".  Hopefully, I can terminate this destructive account and transfer files with the help of HP Smart Friend.

Re: Smart sync not too smart

Bob76
New member | Level 2

Sounds like an absolute nightmare! Fortunately I keep a copy of my files on an external SSD and use microsofts free SyncToy to sync. the files regularly otherwise I also could have been in trouble. 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?