Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync still use a lot of disk space

Helpful | Level 6

Hi all,

If i have files on my pc which I copy over to dropbox via the desktop app, will I then basically have 2 copies of those files on my pc? The original file and then the cached copy of that file that's sitting in dropbox? I've got a fast M2 drive but it fills up pretty fast with my work files. If using the desktop app would mean it would essentially double the disk usage, then I wouldn't be able to use it. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

2 copies of files?

Super User II
Super User II

@merk wrote:

If i have files on my pc which I copy over to dropbox via the desktop app, will I then basically have 2 copies of those files on my pc? The original file and then the cached copy of that file that's sitting in dropbox?

If you copy, yes. If you move, no. The Dropbox folder on your computer is a folder like any other. Any files you put it in exist on your comptuer. It is not a virtual or cloud-based folder or drive.

If using the desktop app would mean it would essentially double the disk usage, then I wouldn't be able to use it. 

The idea is that you move your files into the Dropbox folder and work on them there. You don't need copies in multiple locations.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?