cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart synch issue

Smart synch issue

New member | Level 2

Hello community,
I have a storage problem i hope you can help me with. I'm using the smart synch option sharing files online with my work team but still, my laptop seems to store all those Gbs locally. When i try to delete the files from my hdd (while offline), then the same files are deleted on the dropbox too when i turn online once again.

The same thing happens when i try to upload many files on the shared folders, i got an error message saying i don't have enough disk space. This thing is driving me crazy cause we're paying for the smart synch but we're not able to make it works properly.

Thank you for your help.

Phil. 

1 Reply 1

Re: Smart synch issue

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Phil DF360,

Dropbox is a sync service and syncing is that what the service is doing. Dropbox is a regular folder tends to be in sync with your account online storage and so indirectly to all other linked devices (or it tries, at least when online).

@Phil DF360 wrote:

... I'm using the smart synch option sharing files online with my work team but still, my laptop seems to store all those Gbs locally. ...

"Smart Sync" try to keep file online only till a moment some program try access particular file. At that moment Dropbox "restores" the file so access would be possible.

@Phil DF360 wrote:

... When i try to delete the files from my hdd (while offline), then the same files are deleted on the dropbox too when i turn online once again.

Of course, as mentioned above Dropbox sync everything in the Dropbox folder, including deletions.

@Phil DF360 wrote:

The same thing happens when i try to upload many files on the shared folders, i got an error message saying i don't have enough disk space. ...

As mentioned above, Dropbox folder is just a folder, nothing more. Don't assume it as something special! Probably you haven't moved your files, but have copied them. What's going on when you  copy one file in one place to other place?! You create new file that engage "new" space on the same drive. That's what you have noticed.

@Phil DF360 wrote:

... This thing is driving me crazy cause we're paying for the smart synch but we're not able to make it works properly.

Good point! Using "Smart Sync" doesn't give a guarantee that local space will not be used. Actually, there isn't a convenient and intuitive way. I have made a proposal about this. If you want, can vote it up.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?