cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"

Highlighted

SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Is there a way to prevent files from becoming marked online-only automatically if they are not edited every few months?  I want to mark a couple of large directories as online-only but don't want anything else to become online-only automatically.

I commonly work on isolated networks which have no Internet access.  I have lots of PDF manuals and previous projects that I occasionally use for reference while on the isolated networks but don't edit.  If they become online-only then I would be forced to find an Internet connection to access the files which is not workable.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SmartSync - Automatically Becoming "Online-Only"

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Byar, great question; I’d happily discuss that with you & help you choose the option that suits your needs best! 

For starters, it would be worth noting that the feature can be switched On/Off through the Sync Preferences on your desktop, so if you feel that it isn’t the right time to enable that, then you can simply turn it off temporarily. From there, it should be easy to make your files available for Offline viewing by right-clicking on them & choosing Local from the Smart Sync menu, in order to continue working with them while you’re not connected to a network. 

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you in your next post whenever you have some spare time. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Byar, great question; I’d happily discuss that with you & help you choose the option that suits your needs best! 

For starters, it would be worth noting that the feature can be switched On/Off through the Sync Preferences on your desktop, so if you feel that it isn’t the right time to enable that, then you can simply turn it off temporarily. From there, it should be easy to make your files available for Offline viewing by right-clicking on them & choosing Local from the Smart Sync menu, in order to continue working with them while you’re not connected to a network. 

Hopefully this points you towards the right direction & please do let me know my advice works for you in your next post whenever you have some spare time. Thanks!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I see that I misunderstood how it worked.  I thought I had to enable the Auto SmartSync to use SmartSync at all.

I understand it now.  Thanks for the help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Ah, pleased we got this sorted together @Byar; now that you know where you can find us, feel free to ping us back for more Dropbox ☁️ tips in the future. Happy syncing until then & have a wonderful Friday ahead! 🤓

Jane

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?