cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartSync - Online photos don't open

Highlighted

SmartSync - Online photos don't open

New member | Level 2

Dropbox: 101.4.434

Hi All,

With SmartSync enabled; it used to be that when I double clicked on a photo that was in the cloud (grey cloud icon) DropBox would then sync the file (green tick) and it would open in Windows Photos.

For the last few weeks since around the time of the last update (according to add/remove programs) when clicking on Online photos in the DropBox folder Windows Photos opens with the error [{FILENAME} It appears that the file was moved or renamed.] additionally the file isn't synced into a local copy. 

I can still open the files on the Dropbox.com webpage and manually right click the file in explorer and instruct SmartSync to make the file 'local' but this is not idea.

Seems like the mechanism telling DropBox to sync the file when clicked on in the DropBox folder is broken.

Taken the usual basic troubleshooting steps; restart PC, reinstalled app, checked Windows Updates upto date, SFC scan.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

L

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: SmartSync - Online photos don't open

Dropboxer

Hey there @L-Pitt, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to see if we can narrow down the issue at all, can you let me know if this issue occurs for:

• One specific file
  • A specific file type eg. .docx or .xlxs files
  • All files within the Dropbox folder

If it's just for a selection of files, are the files around the same size?

Also, do you have the app that you'll use to edit the files open before trying to open the file in Dropbox, or is it closed before double clicking the file?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I have a similar problem. In the past, when I double-clicked on a photo that was 'online', it opened in Photos. I've just tried to open some online photos and I'm now getting an error message: 'Unspecified Error'. If I change the file to 'local', it opens OK. When I change it back to 'online', it fails again. Has something changed?

Thanks,

Paul

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Paulo53, thanks for joining the thread!

Can you let me know what you find in regards to the questions I asked above?

Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?