cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Some Dropbox files won't open suddenly

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi! 

Looking for help for an odd, sudden problem that started happening this morning at work.

Background: I have Dropbox Professional and use the downloaded Dropbox version on my computer, so use File Explorer to access my Dropbox. 

Problem: I noticed some preview icons are transparent -- this is not program-specific. Some photo viewer, some Word, some Excel, some Powerpoint, some PDF. It seems random and does not follow a chronological or parent-file trend. These files get an error message when trying to open them with various wordings of "This program cannot open it because it can't find it, program updates may not be upgraded, file corruption, or just no access to the file." 

Dropbox is critical in my  work. I would appreciate any and all help to resolve this issue! 

Thanks so much, 

Jenn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Some Dropxbox files won't open suddenly

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

After I exited out, I had to re-install dropbox to open it again  When it was finished "re-installing", it notified me that it actually just updated itself. My files are now fine  

So it appears that it needed an update, but didn't notify me of that. Anyways, I will be sure to check that out first next time I have a problem. 

Thanks so much for your time and help! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @jned99. Welcome to the Community! 

Thank you for sharing this issue.

Did you add more folders to the structure? This could be an issue with the third party apps not being able to follow the path to open the files. 

This usually happens if there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path. From the C:\ all the way to the extension of a file. The Dropbox desktop application can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters but the third party apps you need to open these files locally cannot. 

Example: if you had a test.txt file in your Dropbox that had the following path:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\Dropbox\test.txt

This file would have a path that is 47 characters long.

Can you open these files online? 

Let me know.

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me! 

I tried a few of the problem files online, and they seem to open. I don't think it's a problem with file length because most are only in one file, potentially one subfile (ex: C:\Users\jnedo_000\Dropbox\1 - TriForce) and up until this morning I never have had a problem with any of the files -- and I haven't made changes to them. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hmm.. If you quit the Dropbox application locally, do you get the same error opening the files from your computer?

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Like "exit" the Dropbox application on my desktop?

If so, I just did that and the files still have a transparent icon and won't open... but I'm not sure if that's what you meant by quitting locally.

Since they open online, should I just uninstall or remove all the files from my desktop and try re-syncing them?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Yes. This is what I meant. 

Please post a screenshot of the icons you see when you quit the Dropbox app. 

Thank you @jned99

Fiona

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

After I exited out, I had to re-install dropbox to open it again  When it was finished "re-installing", it notified me that it actually just updated itself. My files are now fine  

So it appears that it needed an update, but didn't notify me of that. Anyways, I will be sure to check that out first next time I have a problem. 

Thanks so much for your time and help! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

So happy the issue is resolved.  Thanks for letting me know what the problem was. 

Have a nice weekend! 

Fiona

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?