cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Some LAN users don't see immediate sync

Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I have the following setup in my office. All Windows 10 Pro machines.

User 1 - has a DropBox account and can sync back and forth when files are added, edit, deleted, etc. I have 9 users who sit in different offices and they all have DropBox accounts, all working without any issues.

User 2 - 5 are sitting in my office and I made the Dropbox folder in my users' area shared to the local network so they can have access to it.

User 2 and User 3 can see any changes happening in any folder in realtime as files sync in my folder and they have access to them.

User 4 and User 5 can see files from three days ago. Everything was working fine for over a month this way, and they all had access to the locally shared folder of my DropBox account's folder. Now, they can't SEE any new files when they access the folder I share locally even though the link is absolutely correct, because all other users (2 and 3) can see new files.

If I sit in front of the PC of User 4 and open the link of the DropBox folder I share from my PC, and I add a text file, it immediately appears everywhere and all those who have access to that DropBox folder can see the new file. I can see the file I just saved in that folder on User 4 PC... but I CAN'T SEE any new files from the last four days.

This is puzzling to me because there's nothing saying you can't do it. From a technology point of view, this is a simple setup of a local network sharing folder.

Anyone?

2020-02-25_15-38-34.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Some LAN users don't see immediate sync

Helpful | Level 5

I just wanted to update those who may want to try it. I fixed the issue and it wasn't DropBox, it was Windows 10 handling of Shared folder.

1. I deleted the links I had to Users 4 and 5.

2. I've made the Dropbox folder available to all users using the Sharing:

- Right-click on the folder

- Properties

In the Sharing Tab click on Advance Sharing (you should have Admin access)

- Check Share this folder and give it a name

- Click on Permissions

- Everyone will be highlighted - click on Allow Change

- Click OK, OK, Apply, Close

Now, on each LAN computer (where users do NOT have a DropBox account), right-click on the desktop New -> Shortcut and type in the directly shared folder (example: \\PC-of_User1\Shared).

Now it works perfectly!

-

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @ronxsaz,

Following your description, that's not a Dropbox issue (files aren't shared through Dropbox), but a local setup issue. Take in mind, everything shared in a way you just described doesn't guarantee any update notification (i.e. after a change don't follow mandatory notification, so no any cache update). One way to solve this is connect all computers to Dropbox and share to, using LAN sync. Another way is refresh of the cache by hand every time some update gets expected (seems you and the other persons didn't tried F5).

Hope this gives a direction.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you.

Yes, we tried the F5 (didn't work), and no we don't care for the notifications regarding changed files.

Never tried the LAN Sync - I need to check what it is first.

I'm fully aware this is not a Dropbox issue, but it is working well with other users in the office and worked well with everyone until a couple of days ago. I thought someone else tried this easy solution before. Thanks again.

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you.

Enable LAN sync was already checked... Still searching.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Actually it is a dropbox issue. The latest releases of the software is buggy, in that it is not applying the permissions of the destination folder to the files when it syncs a file into said folder. I expect user2 & 3 have different access to 4 & 5.

FYI: When dropbox generates a file it uses a hidden folder to create it, it then uses the permission retaining move function of the OS to place the file in its destination folder. The result is the file does not inhert the permissions of the destination folder.

A cludge fix method is to right click on the folder and bring up properties>secuirty>advanced>tick the repalce all permissions yad yad yad at the botom and apply.

This of course effects any subfolder explicit permissions which will be lost, as said its a cludge fix, in that you are going to have to apply those permissions over and over. You can perform that as a a scheduled task using ICACLS commands.

Im performing this while I adjust our system to use OneDrive instead as they have stuck there heads in the sand and just ignore the bug reports. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

That's an interesting observation.

I'm going to test this tonight.

Thank you for the new angle.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I just wanted to update those who may want to try it. I fixed the issue and it wasn't DropBox, it was Windows 10 handling of Shared folder.

1. I deleted the links I had to Users 4 and 5.

2. I've made the Dropbox folder available to all users using the Sharing:

- Right-click on the folder

- Properties

In the Sharing Tab click on Advance Sharing (you should have Admin access)

- Check Share this folder and give it a name

- Click on Permissions

- Everyone will be highlighted - click on Allow Change

- Click OK, OK, Apply, Close

Now, on each LAN computer (where users do NOT have a DropBox account), right-click on the desktop New -> Shortcut and type in the directly shared folder (example: \\PC-of_User1\Shared).

Now it works perfectly!

-

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Aggghhhh so it wasnt dropbox, you just reapplied the correct folder permisisons to the files and it worked, you would kind of think a company like Microsoft who has dealt with folder permissions in sharing since the creation of the NTFS file system would know what they were doing with that. But clearly Dropbox who was placing the files that you couldnt see in the folder would have had nothng to do with that.

:-P

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Correct. I knew it wasn't Dropbox because the files showed up for SOME users (2 and 3) but not all (4 and 5). I've tested t today and everyone is happy - all files sync instantly across all folders.

I think you're right about the sharing issues that M$ created and hasn't changed since Windows NT (which I loved, by the way) where NTFS was introduced.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?