Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Some pictures keep re-uploading to my "Camera Uploads" folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I have been using Dropbox, and the automatic uploading of pictures (in a "Camera Uploads" folder) for many years. This is the first time I have had an issue.

My problem is that I have a couple of pictures (taken January 14) that keep re-uploading to my "Camera Uploads" folder... When I move them out, they pop back up. And actually, even without me moving them out, they keep multiplying... For example, my folder now holds pictures named "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2.jpg", "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2-1.jpg", "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2-2.jpg", "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2-3.jpg", "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2-4.jpg", "2020-01-13 11.47.20-2-5.jpg" - all 6 of those being exactly the same as far as I can tell!

Can you help me? How can I make this stop?!

Best wishes,

T.V.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Some pictures keep re-uploading to my "Camera Uploads" folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Walter,

Thanks a lot for your quick response! (And happy Monday to you! )

Indeed, you were right: I had edited the pictures through Google Photos (GP), and it seems that GP somehow generated a whole bunch of copies - which I neither needed nor wanted, but which all uploaded to DropBox over the course of several days...

The issue now seems fixed... And as you said, it wasn't a DropBox bug!

Thanks again anyways!

Best wishes,

Tim

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @tim_vermote - welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

These look like photos that have been edited somehow (thus not duplicates exactly), so I’d like you to check if the file sizes for the original and duplicate files match.

On iOS, here’s how you can compare the sizes:
1. In the Dropbox app, open the original image
2. Tap the ellipsis button and select "more details..."
3. Note the full file size in bytes
4. Do the same for the duplicate image and compare the two file sizes.

On Android:
You will need to check the full image file size (in bytes). One way to do this will be to perform a web search for an "EXIF data viewer" and view the exif data for both the original and duplicate file. This should show you the complete file size in bytes.

If the sizes are different, this means that the original photo was modified by a third-party app, most likely by adding metadata to your image. This changed the size of the image causing the Dropbox app to detect this file as a new image and upload it to Dropbox.

If that's the case indeed, there is nothing more we can do on our end to troubleshoot this issue. The best next step for you will be to determine which app is modifying your files and stop this process from running to prevent duplicate uploads in the future.

If, however, the file sizes match exactly, could you please send me both the original and duplicate image file (if you are comfortable sharing them via a shared link here), so I can investigate this further?

Thanks a bunch Tim! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello Walter,

Thanks a lot for your quick response! (And happy Monday to you! )

Indeed, you were right: I had edited the pictures through Google Photos (GP), and it seems that GP somehow generated a whole bunch of copies - which I neither needed nor wanted, but which all uploaded to DropBox over the course of several days...

The issue now seems fixed... And as you said, it wasn't a DropBox bug!

Thanks again anyways!

Best wishes,

Tim

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear it's sorted now Tim; thanks for keeping me in the loop too 

Have a wonderful week ahead and if you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us 

Cheers! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?