cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone downloaded my files from a non-shared folder

Highlighted

Someone downloaded my files from a non-shared folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I recently had my 8mm personal videos converted to a digital format at Harry's  Camera and Video in Studio City, CA.  I was emailed a link so that i could download the videos to my computer.  When i clicked on the link it said that someone named Patricia Johnson downloaded each of my files and someone named Anthony Abate viewed them.  See screenshot below.  I don't know these people.  I called Harry's Camera and told them to remove my files from dropbox.  When I clicked on the link i was on an unauthenticated page and not logged into my personal dropbox account.  To test if I could see these files from my personal dropbox account I logged into my account and did not see those files accessible on my personal dropbox.  I am concerned that some stranger now has my personal videos and can do whatever they want with them.  I feel violated and not sure what recourses are available?  Should I file a police report?  What can I do?  Harry's Camera refuses any responsibility for this situation and was extremely rude and disrepectul and hung up on the phone on me when I expressed very respectfully my concerns.

Question: How can someone download my personal video files from a non-shared folder provided by Harry's Camera if someone at Harry's Camera did not give them permission to view/download the files?  What are some possibilities here?

harryscamerasecuritybreach.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Someone downloaded my files from a non-shared folder

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback on this matter, @yamama12, I've noted it down on our system here to make it clearer in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @yamama12, thanks for messaging today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. This image you're seeing is an example of what file activity could look like if you were signed into your account and had shared the file with other users. 

It doesn't mean that these were real users who viewed the file.

I hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay,

Thanks for your response.  If this is true then I have to say to dropbox that it is absolutely recommended to remove it.  It can appear that someone has already downloaded the files and that image is extremely misleading.  There is nothing on the image that states that it is an example of what it would look like.  How can someone know that?

Yamama12

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback on this matter, @yamama12, I've noted it down on our system here to make it clearer in future.

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?