cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Sorting documents in Paper

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would very much like to see a way of sorting documents created in Paper either on date or the name of the document. At the moment everything is sorted on last modified date in the "main Paper view". If you browse a folder any document created/moved there, there is no way of telling how the documents are sorted.

Also, is there some kind of limit to how many documents you can create in Paper? I know the product is still in Beta but there is very little information to be found on this VERY promising product.

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Sorting documents in Paper

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Björn

Currently Paper docs are ordered by most recently viewed. We are very interested in your feedback however. I have passed it onto the team.

There is currently no limit to the number of docs you can create! Go wild!!

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hey Kaz,

Thank you so much for your reply. Great to hear there is no limit on the number of docs and that my feedback got passed along to the team. Have a nice day!

/Björn

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I would love the ability to sort or to put files in a folder in a specific order (and they stay in that order regardless of editing).

Example: I could create a folder for onboarding new hires. Each doc in the folder would outline a specific step in the onboarding process.

It would be great if I could set the doc order in the correct order so they wouldn't move around.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Until they add that sorting ability I've a humble suggestion for you. You could "pin" those Paper docs. That's what Dropbox calls it. It's the same as making them a sticky. That's what I'll call them for the rest of my post.

In that Paper folder for onboarding new hires you could make the Paper docs in question a sticky. That way they automatically go to the top of that folder's list and never move, regardless of what docs you edit in that folder.

The tricky part I've found from testing this is that for some reason Dropbox puts all stickies in reverse alphanumerical order, according to their title.  

That is, all stickies are listed so that a title beginning with the letter A goes at the bottom. Above that would be titles starting with the letter B. Above that titles that start with the letter C. Etc.

As in my testing, if all the titles start with the same letter or word, such as "Sample: ", then their system goes to the next letter after that and puts them into that order accordingly. So "Sample: Hello" will always appear under "Sample: Hiring Practices".

It's the same with numbers. So a sticky doc named "Hiring Process 5" will always be at the top of that folder's list, above the sticky "Hiring Process 1". It goes at least 2 digits deep. So if you already have stickies "Hiring Process 5", "Hiring Process 4", and need a new doc between them, you'll have to name it something like "Hiring Process 45".

There's a help page for how to "pin a doc to the top of a folder". I couldn't get it to work if I added ":" to the end of the title, as they instruct us to do.

The good news is the first part of their way works. Forget the second half.

To make a sticky (pin a doc) to the top of a folder, per Dropbox Paper instructions:

In the title field of a doc, put the cursor in the first space of the title and press the space bar at least twice to shove the current title to the right. That's because the ":pushpin" tactic won't work if there's not an empty space after the letter "n" in ":pushpin".

Once you have empty space at the start of the title, put the cursor at that starting point and type a colon and wait for the emoji pop up screen to appear. Once it appears type out the word "pushpin" and press enter or return. (Don't literally type in the ")

A cute red pushpin should now appear at the start of your title. Go to the first letter of the title and hit backspace until there's a space between it and the pushpin. 

You're done. You just made a sticky!

To remove the sticky just delete that pushpin icon from the title. 

Once you've got all your selected docs made a sticky you can play with the exact naming of their titles so they're in the order you want. 

I hope this helps until they add sorting options. Good luck. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi Kenneth,

This is great. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will certainly check out the pinning feature! I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through.

Best,

Amy

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, Amy. 

My pleasure to help out.  I've tested it several times and it still worked that way as of today, Monday, 1-11-16.

I've a backup tactic if trying to edit the title directly like that still doesn't work.

Go anywhere else in the actual Paper doc, start on a brand new line, then type in ":", wait for the emoji pop up screen, then type in "pushpin" and enter (or return). That will certainly create the pushpin.

Then use your mouse to highlight that pushpin (actually the space before and after it too) and copy it. Now go to the first space of your Paper doc's title and paste that pushpin right in. Then add a space between it and the start of your title. Maybe backspace the pushpin too so it's at the first space for the title.

So you've two options for doing it. At least one of them should work fine. 

But just in case for some reason it doesn't work at all, I've put in bold the basic parts of my info for a quick read. That way others can help narrow down why it isn't working for you. I'm using the following:

Browser: Chrome (version 47.0.2526.106 64-bit), Dropbox account: Dropbox Pro, Computer Type: Mac, OS: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion), Internet Connection: cable broadband, Paper docs used for testing: The sample docs Dropbox Paper automatically gave me.

Wish ya the best!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Kenneth,
i admire your investigative skills.

But honestly, this kind of hacking and fiddling cannot be the default way to use a service that on the other hand is obviously built to work extremely intuitively and smoothly.

Why not just saying: sorting of docs is currently not possible. Period.

And the product itself should not feed the impression, that it would work:

When beginning a drag, a big blue bar appears on top of the window, with a label saying: "Drag to the top to sort docs." This is ridiculous and simply wrong, since of course this does not sort docs. It should say instead: "Drag to the top to make docs sticky". Unfortunately this feature is buggy: If you have some docs made sticky for example, you can drag them, but dropping them results in an error message, which, by the way, fades away much to fast as it could be readable (Mac OSX 10.11.2, Firefox 43.0.4).

It's overall surprising to see a feature to make docs sticky in Paper, before the much more needed feature of sorting options is implemented.

No clue, by the way, how to make sticky docs un-sticky again... But i'm sure there is a secret hack also for that.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

Hey, Michael. Thanks for joining the discussion.

We're all in some way bashing against the walls, working with the Paper Beta. But who's "hacking and fiddling"? I'm just kicking tires and firing up the engine lol. Not to mention I'm just trying to help others get the most out of the Dropbox Paper Beta. With the least amount of grief.

Kaz said, "Currently Paper docs are ordered by most recently viewed." So I didn't see a need to say "sorting of docs is currently not possible". In so many words Kaz already said that. But he also said he passed the feedback of wanting a sorting feature to the team. Mission accomplished.

However, Amy said she "would love the ability to sort or to put files in a folder in a specific order (and they stay in that order regardless of editing)." She also gave an example of how she wanted it to work.

I believe the first sentence of my first post in this topic was, "Until they add that sorting ability I've a humble suggestion for you. You could "pin" those Paper docs." She can now do exactly what she wants to do with Paper without having to wait for any new sorting features. Which may never happen.

I've yet to try the drag/blue bar tactic or feature you're talking about. Thanks for sharing. I guess I'll come across it sooner or later. But if it's about making and unmaking a sticky then the way I advised in this topic always works for me. I don't consider it any form of "hacking".

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Sorry, you're absolutely right, Kenneth, i apologize. I have to admit, i did not read this thread from the very beginning.

However, i think, the label "Drag to the top to sort docs" should be changed to a sentence describing what the feature really does.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?