cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Specify download location

Specify download location

jlove
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want to be able to specify the destination when downloading via the web to a PC that does not have Dropbox installed.  Dropbox seems to default to the Windows default download folder, and I cannot find an option to change this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
That's a function of the browser that you're using, and not Dropbox. Look in settings/preferences/options for whatever browser you're using.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
That's a function of the browser that you're using, and not Dropbox. Look in settings/preferences/options for whatever browser you're using.

jlove
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the reply, but I am disappointed to learn that Dropbox does not offer that functionality.  If Dropbox folks monitor this forum, please consider this a request for that feature.

Alexis G.1
Super User
Go to solution

Most browsers have configuration available already for that. You can specify where do you want to put files you download.

For example, in Chrome:

download location.jpg

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95759?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

jlove wrote:

Thank you for the reply, but I am disappointed to learn that Dropbox does not offer that functionality.  If Dropbox folks monitor this forum, please consider this a request for that feature.

Dropbox can't offer that functionality. Your browser controls it. The download process is a function of your browser, not Dropbox. Dropbox just sends the data to your browser. It's your browser that handles it, including the save location. Just change the setting in your browser and your problem is solved. No changes to Dropbox required (or possible).

hellofisch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm missing this too, and course Dropbox CAN offer this functionality. There are plenty of other websites which promt the browser to open a "Save as" window rather than just downloading to the default download folder

JamesVibe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi -its 2020 now - wondering if this has changed for dropbox yet.  Does not appear so.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@JamesVibe wrote:

Hi -its 2020 now - wondering if this has changed for dropbox yet.  Does not appear so.  

As stated previously in this tread... Dropbox doesn't (and can't) control this. It's a function controlled by your web browser.

JamesVibe
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok got it. I use chrome and when I go to preferences I get to check “ask me” where to download. That works for all downloads now
Need more support?