cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split into two accounts and sharing settings corrupted

Split into two accounts and sharing settings corrupted

DevSinha
Explorer | Level 3

My workplace procured dropbox for business.  Recently I signed up for a workplace account, and then had to switch the e-mail attached to my personal account, as well as moving files from my personal account to the new work account.  In the process, some sharing settings got corrupted: files shared with collaborators are seen as mine only on my dropbox, and are seen as shared to my personal account by them, even though they are not in my personal directory but my work directory.  

How can I remedy this?  I have made substantial revisions, and do not want them lost.

3 Replies 3

Re: Split into two accounts and sharing settings corrupted

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi there @DevSinha, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you clarify for me how you moved the files from one account to another?

Did you share the files from the personal account, and then make a copy the files in the work account?

Also, if you check the share tab in your personal account, do you see the folders there still?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DevSinha
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

No, I did not know about the need to share the folders with myself before moving them.  I just moved them (in MacOS).

And no, they are no longer listed on the share tab.  

But I went ahead and renamed them and then shared the new folder with my collaborators; we are working on reconciling any conflicts.  There are other shared folders which this has happened to, though, so it would be good to know the best way to proceed.

Best,

Dev

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for the additional info @DevSinha.

If you just copied over the files then it wouldn't keep the sharing properties through Dropbox. However, it seems you've remedied this yourself by sharing the new folder!

If you copied over the other folders in the same way, you would need to re-share these folders too from the new account.

I hope this helps clarify the matter!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?